Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

New Member Needs New Rubber...

Old 11-29-2015, 08:51 PM
TX_CZ_Dad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New Member Needs New Rubber...

25k miles on our Journey SXT Blacktop and the right rear found half of a box cutter razor blade yesterday. The tires have been less than favorable in every performance category that I can think of, and are thus due for replacement. (Wouldn't give the Solus KH16 anything more than a "4" out of a possible 10.)

Anyway, what I own is a 2014 Journey SXT Blacktop edition. The one that comes with the goofy P225/55R19 wheel size. Scouring the net over the last 24 hours has me looking at Continental TrueContact in correct sizing. (The Pirelli Cinturato seems to have less than favorable reviews in comparison.)

None of my local "name brand" tire shops have what I need in stock, and thus I am ordering from TireRack and having the tires drop-shipped to NTB or my Dodge Dealer to have them installed. (Will having NTB install void any part of my Dodge bumper to bumper warranty?)

Anyway, what I'm left wondering is; could I get to a slightly better tire if I went with a P235/55/R19 or P235/50R19? What is the largest footprint I can fit into my stock 19"-clad SXT? Will a P255 fit inside their respective tubs, and stay on the rim at 80mph?

Any recommendations on tires? Again, know about the Continental TrueContact and Pirelli Cinturato, but only because of the last day's previous research. I'm still pretty naive when it comes to tire technology. Employees at my local (Now-Bridgestone-owned) Pep Boys were pushing me towards their only in-stock tire available; The Falken Ziex… Go figure. A good buddy of mine was suggesting Michelin, but every review I have read in the last day that mentioned that name, basically said "X Tire is SO MUCH BETTER THAN MY MICHELINS/BRIDGESTONES!!!"

I'm looking for something that will handle exceptionally well in wet weather conditions. Our roads here in Central Texas SUCK! A "smooth" ride is subjective, and I already have a factory stiff suspension; so buying tires for a "smooth" ride is irrelevant. This vehicle will more than likely never see snow, and handle little to no ice in it's lifetime. I would like to have something that keeps it's wits about it when a "spirited" foot hits a pedal and punches it through the floor. (OEM Kumho's just spin.) But I also do not need a full-on performance tire, as this is really just a shuttle for my little one, and will rarely if ever get "pushed."

Someone help me. Too many options, and I don't have a clue which way to go. My head hurts, and I still need to get this vehicle back on the road in a couple of days. Lol.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:55 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

I just put new tires on. I don't get the cheapest nor the most expensive. I got what discount tire recommended. A falken tire. $125 each. Decent reviews.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:12 PM
wiman

My Kumho tires hydroplaned easily and were horrible in the snow.I Bought Continental Pro contact and love them.Great in wet or snow.Only complaint is that speedometer reads slow.Solved by GPS.If the Continental True Contacts work like mine,You will be pleased.Check out the reviews at Tire Rack.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:32 PM
TX_CZ_Dad

All of the shining reviews from Continental tires on TireRack are really swaying me towards the brand despite my stealership parts guy pushing me towards Pirelli and GoodYear. And not only the reviews, but it seems just about every time TR reviews high performance tires, there's always a Continental in the four-tire review. Could be paid marketing, or it could mean something. But it's definitely got my attention.

Glad to hear you are digging your Pros! If I stick to 225's the Trues will definitely be heading my way. (Most likely as stealership won't even flash cpu for new tire size with as small of a change as I'm making, which kind of bugs me.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Member Needs New Rubber...