Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

OBD nightmare - please help

Old 05-03-2016, 11:03 AM
mtnk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD nightmare - please help

We just purchased Dodge Journey 2014. The car came with NY inspection sticker. When we took it to a private facility in NJ for inspection, the vehicle failed. I was given the following information:

Engine misfire - READY
Fuel System - NOT READY
Comprehensive Component - READY
Catalytic Converters - READY
Evaporative System - READY
Oxygen Sensors - READY
Oxygen Sensors - Heaters - READY
EGR system - READY

I was told the the FUEL SYSTEM needs to be ready to pass.

Now, we've made 8 trips to the dealership where we got the car, and they say when they hook up the car to their diagnostic/computer system, they see 5 monitors, and all of them are READY. There is no such thing as a fuel monitor in their system. They don't understand the issue and have no idea how to fix it.

We've tried everything from driving around (2000 miles) to putting higher grade fuel per dealership's suggestions. Their only solution is to avoid private inspection places and go with the state facility, which ultimately worked as the state facility did not inspect the car because it's new, but just gave us a sticker. However the issue remains and the car will not pass the inspection next time around.

Anyone ever came across this or has any knowledge of this specific issue?

thanks

Old 05-03-2016, 11:11 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Why can't you use the state facility next time? Or try another private one.

Last edited by jkeaton; 05-03-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:06 PM
mtnk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to two private stations and they both said fuel system is showing not ready. I then went to NJ facility per dealership's advise and they gave me the sticker without running the actual test. I was told they don't test new cars. I am not sure if this was a misunderstanding since the car is 2014 or it's still considered "new." So i have the inspection sticker for now, but concerned that when it's time to take the car for the next inspection, this issue will come up again. I don't know if NJ state facility would detect the same issue or they use different software and the car would pass, and now that we have the inspection sticker, NJ state facility is refusing to re-test the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OBD nightmare - please help