Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Gas tank vandalism

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 08:31 PM
16limited
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas tank vandalism

Hey,

I bought a 2016 Dodge Journey about a week ago. I had it for all of three days before I came out from work to a spewing gas tank, and I mean spewing. There was a steady stream coming from the tank. The fire department came and cleaned up the mess of a full gas tank all over the parking lot. i sent it back to the dealership, and they concluded that someone intentionally punctured my gas tank. It was a clean hole, couldn't have been caused my collision. Afterwards, I found drill bits beside where my car was parked.

After looking, I realized that the gas tanks are pretty easy to get to on journeys. I have no idea what the point of this was, as no one knew I got a new vehicle (I only had it for three days!) and I have no problems with anyone. I assume this is a random act, whether some kids were just messing around or someone was looking to bum some free gas. Regardless, I'm pretty nervous about leaving my vehicle anywhere. I'm just looking to see if anyone has had this problem before, or if there are any recommendations or extra parts or I can add to my vehicle to give me peace of mind?

Old 07-15-2017, 07:18 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Probably have to have something custom fabricated. It's not just the journey that has an exposed gas tank. Maybe park in a better area?