Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

cold sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 10:07 PM
Wayne Powers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold sound

We had the oil pan replaced, because the oil plug had been stripped, now in the morning the wife is complaining about a noise when she accelerates, but only for a short period of time. It seems that once the exhaust system heats up the noise disappears. At first I thought it was just a reseating of the crossover pipe (under the oil pan) and it would just disappear in a few days. The sound is very similar to the sound of an aging front suspension spring groaning. It is not a metal on metal clunking sound . They did remove the crossover pipe and used the existing exhaust components. Anyone have a suggestion?

Old 08-10-2017, 07:55 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Diagnosing sounds over the internet is practically impossible. Only thing I can suggest is putting it on jack stands, starting it cold and start looking for the source.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Wayne Powers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took out my Samsung tablet and set it on record, this morning so I could record the sounds. After I got back and listened I found out that within 2 minutes the sound disappears and by replaying it a few times I get the impression one of the clamps is not tight enough. You can hear a movement sound as the engine rocks, when you accelerate, but because it stops so quickly , it has to be a fitting . The engine temperature never got off the C , before the noise stopped. Tonight Im putting it on the ramp and going to retighten all the clamps , then check it again in the morning.