Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

"life time warrenty" catch 22

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 06:57 PM
brianbrian
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "life time warrenty" catch 22

Hello
I would appreciate some advise as i'm in a catch 22. I have a 2009 Journey that is in great shape and runs perfectly with a 159,000 miles on it.
I have the life time warranty on the drive train. The water pump iincluded.

PROBLEM:
On dec 27 driving home after having the car sitting out for a wk, at a cold airport, a red warning came on. p0124 ( insufficient coolant temp for closed loop control). The car ran fine, BUT when I stopped I had a bad burning rubber smell under the hood. The car was towed to my home and the next am it started and ran perfectly.
1 wk later p2181 appeared "cooling system performance" and when I opened the hood I had white smoke and it smelled like I had done a "burnout", Heavy burned rubber smell. The smoke cleared and I drove the 2 blocks home. I called a local dealer who told me to drive it in, I did and the car again/still ran perfectly. They were not able to get to it and told me the warning lights had cleared so it was probably fine.
QUESTION: My timing belt (which drives the water pump) was replaced around 50k miles ago, (100k recommendation). The water pump was not replaced. at the time.
I have been advised that there is probably something hanging up the timing belt. Possibly a bad bearing in the water pump or one of the tensionsers.
All of this is "under Warrenty". BUT, I'm being told that since it's intermittent there is a good chance nothing wrong will be found when this is opened inspected.
So i'll be paying a grand or so for things covered under the warranty. I am also told that if I don't have it checked after the codes and the notes in the computer. The Warranty will probably be void. If the timing belt "lets loose" the engine (09 v6) will be severely damaged.

ANY SUGGESTIONS THANKS IN ADVANCE
BRAIN

Quick Reply: "life time warrenty" catch 22