Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

what is 2009 dodge journey (CAN BUS)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 03:58 PM
migz16
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is 2009 dodge journey (CAN BUS)

Hello,

ive been trying to solve an after market head unit issue on my 2009 dodge journey sxt. I purchased a metra wiring harness that brought a separate red ACC/ignition wire. My radio factory harness doesnt have a red ACC/ignition wire. the way i currently wired the vehicle to get it to turn

- aftermakret harness yellow and red connected to constant

this keeps the head unit on after turning off the car. ive had to jump start the car every other day this week (more than 4 times so far since installing the head unit)

i took the headunit off and no battery issue. i finnaly found something that points me in the right direction as far as the factory radio harness. but yet again, ITS ANOTHER DEAD END. its been dead end after dead end after dead end.

at this point im begging for someone to atleast comment for me to give up. the document i found (atatched) gives me a full description of what the cables are and what they do.

ultimately what i want to figure out is exactly how and where to connect the separate red/acc/ignition cable to stop the drainage.
on this document that im attaching i see "radio ignition" with the location as (CAN BUS)

what is "CAN BUS" ??? so i can finally address my issue.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:23 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

A Controller Area Network is a robust vehicle bus standard designed to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other in applications without a host computer. It’s how all the different modules talk to each other. A communications protocol if you will.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:20 AM
migz16
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owe this to anyone searching this forum site for answers. To be honest, you wont find any here besides this post. I will copy and paste this message to all post i added in search for this answer in different questions. It turns out that the 2009 dodge journey radio acc ignition switch is controlled by some internal computer in the car called CAN BUS or DATA. you'll find different references for it but the 2 i just mentioned are it. What that means is that if you are installing aftermarket radio/head unit you wont get AMP power, antenna power, illumination or ignition cut off. you can wire the radio using metra harnesses but you'll have a hard time getting the things i mentioned above. The only way this will work (AS I JUST GOT IT WORKING) is by purchasing a "

C2R-CHY4"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Select-Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-RAM-Radio-AMPLIFIED-VEHICLES-Wiring-Harness-/391269477897

it brings the harness and everything you need for the 2009 odge journey sxt model.

took a long time to find the answers but i can ensure that this is all you need for installing an after market radio/head unit. without this, no matter how you wire the ACC red cable of your aftermarket harness either to fuse, or pink/white under the steering wheel or to a relay your cars battery will drain out after 2 days time.

Quick Reply: what is 2009 dodge journey (CAN BUS)