Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

2012 Journey - OBDII code P0520 (Oil Pressure Switch)

Old 05-21-2018, 12:18 PM
Howitzer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Journey - OBDII code P0520 (Oil Pressure Switch)

I have a 2012 Dodge Journey R/T Ralleye, 3.6 L with the MIL light on. My code reader tells me it's a P0520 code (I've erased the code many times in the last few weeks, it keeps coming back).

"P0520 OBD-II Trouble Code: Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit Malfunction. P0520 means there is a problem with a circuit in the engine oil pressure sensor, likely due to the oil pressure switch being defective."

Any advice on this one? I've read the intake manifold has to be removed to change out the oil pressure switch... any easier ways? I just bought the vehicle from a local dealer on February 7th (just over 3 months ago). Supposedly a "Certified Vehicle".... what a joke. I told the salesman about it, he has just ignored my texts...

When I'm driving down the road, I sometimes notice a somewhat lower than normal amount of oil pressure... is this a problem? Is there a connection between this code and lower oil pressure? How urgent is this issue?

Old 05-21-2018, 01:06 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Texting the salesman? How about picking up the phone and calling where you bought it from? The salesman's job is done when you drive it off the lot. Go up the chain of command. Oil pressure sensor is a common problem but unless you actually know it's a sensor problem, continually driving it cold result in engine damage if it's something else (failing oil pump, clogged intake screen, etc). You can google it on you tube they have videos of changing them on 3.6L engines.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:16 PM
Howitzer

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Texting the salesman? How about picking up the phone and calling where you bought it from? The salesman's job is done when you drive it off the lot. Go up the chain of command. Oil pressure sensor is a common problem but unless you actually know it's a sensor problem, continually driving it cold result in engine damage if it's something else (failing oil pump, clogged intake screen, etc). You can google it on you tube they have videos of changing them on 3.6L engines.
Thanks for responding!

I texted the salesman because I know the guy and he was setting up a key fob replacement for the vehicle anyways. For some reason, he hasn't responded back so I'm going to have to deal with the service department directly. The crappy thing is I contacted the salesman a couple of weeks ago about it (when I was under the 3-month Certified Vehicle warranty period), but now it's over the 3-month period by a couple weeks. I sure hope they don't get sticky about it, the salesman was setting up a service appointment for me supposedly. The salesman whom I know might and maybe should get some heat for this delay (and now "out-of-warranty" issue).

Old 05-21-2018, 01:22 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

I'd also check to see if it's covered by the power train warranty. Not sure how that works, but power train is 7 years 70,000 miles IIRC.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:12 PM
Howitzer

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I'd also check to see if it's covered by the power train warranty. Not sure how that works, but power train is 7 years 70,000 miles IIRC.
Good plan, I'm from Canada and the vehicle presently has about 118,000 kms, 73,000 miles...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 Journey - OBDII code P0520 (Oil Pressure Switch)