Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Oil in coolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 10:45 PM
Robert Richardson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in coolant

Dodge Journey 2012 3.6 engine oil has been pushed into coolant and coming out of reservoir
The engine didn’t overheat and is still running smooth
Seems like a massive leak to be a head gasket
Any info on this issue ?
Could a bad engine oil cooler cause this
50,000 mile engine
Maybe a cracked head or block as it came on in under 20 miles

Old 09-17-2019, 09:43 PM
Morto1

Originally Posted by Robert Richardson
Dodge Journey 2012 3.6 engine oil has been pushed into coolant and coming out of reservoir
The engine didn’t overheat and is still running smooth
Seems like a massive leak to be a head gasket
Any info on this issue ?
Could a bad engine oil cooler cause this
50,000 mile engine
Maybe a cracked head or block as it came on in under 20 miles
I had the same thing, was a cracked oil cooler, it would pay to replace the oil cooler lines as well mine cracked and dumped the oil. its done 260k km has had its issues but wasnt well maintained when i first got it so catching up on that.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:42 PM
Robert Richardson
Default Oil cooler failure

It was the oil cooler Purchased and after market on for $83 and another $50 for gaskets
I followed a great you tube on removing the manifold and all the parts to get at the cooler.The cooler looked like new but must have failed internally and pushed the coolant into the oil.
Take pictures of the bolt locations and use a torque wrench as the upper manifold is all plastic
The PAI is getting all the oil out of the cooling system
Now still looking at repairing the no heat on passenger side as it’s an issue again
I’m guessing the blend valve has broken off inside the heater box because the actuators work

Old 09-17-2019, 10:52 PM
Morto1

I have the 2.7l motor I didn't have to remove the manifold to replace the cooler, i also had the heater issue, after replacing the cooler, i also replaced the radiator for good measure and got the system flushed at a radiator repair place. this fixed the heater i think it had some oil in the heater lines.
i bought it with the oil in coolant issue so was expecting to fix something on it but here's the list I've done to it,
horn plate to stop horn going off randomly
3 oxygen sensors
new front rotors and pads
oil cooler
radiator
cam angle sensor
crank angle sensor
6 injectors
3 out 4 engine mounts
it was breaking front engine mount brackets as well so replaced that 2 times
now looking at the front right CV joint as its clicking when going from reverse to forward
also have the brake shudder back again so will lube the slides and check the rotors for true they are basically new.
car was cheap and would still make money if i sold it, the wife is get tired of things going wrong but i love driving it, it has done 260,000 km and wasnt well maintained so am almost ontop of maintenance of it and it keeps me entertained.

Quick Reply: Oil in coolant