Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Rear axle type????

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 12:29 AM
joseph
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear axle type????

What kind of rear axle is it on the magnum, I know it has 2.82 gears, My 95 Impala SS had auburn posi, what does the magnum have.
Is there any way to switch off the traction control system, via switch as an aftermarket part?

Old 09-02-2004, 05:06 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rear axle type????

Dana 44.
No, there is no way to totally disable traction control, even if you switch it off, it is still on. I spent over an hour trying to get around it at the tech center. The only way to totally disable it is to unplug the ABS controller-then the trans won't shift.

Old 09-02-2004, 06:12 AM
joseph
Rookie

Dana 44 it is, good to know, does it come with a drain plug, because I want to switch axle fluid with royal purple.
Can you tell me more about the dana 44.
Thanks.

Old 09-05-2004, 03:49 PM
blackmagnumrt
Professional

Are you positive it is a Dana 44? The reason I ask is that I have been told that the ring diameter of the Magnum's stock gears is 210mm. I thought that the Dana 44 took a ring diameter of 8.5" (by my calculations, 210mm comes out to a 8.267" diameter). As you know, I have been desperate for a gear swap and a Dana 44 would be fantastic news from an aftermarket availability standpoint. I just want to make sure since my housing has a serial number on it that is proceeded by a Mercedes star. If it is just a re-badged Dana that would be great.

I guess I would also need to know how the teeth are laid out (45-11, etc.). Finally I would need to find out if you can flash in the differential change. I have had no luck in this area thus far which makes the gear swap even more difficult.

Let me know what you think.

Nick

Old 09-05-2004, 09:31 PM
MikeEast
Professional

Regarding 'turning off' all traction control, I have a reliable source who went thru a training session where they had a 300C and a Magnum R/T to play with. He told me that there was a tacky looking cable that came in the window from under the hood, with a switch on it - that totally disabled all ESP functions, mainly he guessed to demo just what the ESP system could do.

If it can be done with a switch, then it can't be all that hard to do I'd think - underhood fuse? Relay?

I'd look, but they haven't built my Black Hemi R/T yet :-(

Mike

Old 09-05-2004, 10:09 PM
joseph
Rookie

I know for sure now that it's 210 mmm (8.3) size, but is it posi or what?, what happens if one wheels starts losing grip? how does it work inside the axle?

Old 09-05-2004, 11:19 PM
blackmagnumrt
Professional

I have heard the same thing about the switch that was used for testing. It allowed the dealership personnel to see the difference in the vehicle's handling with and without the traction management system.

I'm sure it can be done if they did it. I just can't answer the "how" question.

Nick

Old 09-06-2004, 12:57 AM
dodgemech
All Star

There is NO WAY for the general public to disable traction. As stated previously I spent a great deal of time with DCx trying to figure out a way to completely disable the system. There are many devices we have access to that the general public does not. Will somebody come up with something someday-maybe, but I doubt it?
The locking differential as actually more of an ABS thing than true posi. When one of the wheels starts to spin the ABS computer applies that wheels brake caliper in a duty cycle to regain traction.
The reason I doubt there will be a device to totally disable the system is that it is ABS, traction control and stability control all in one. Pretty big liability for a manufacturer to offer a device that would disable it.

Old 09-06-2004, 01:58 AM
blackmagnumrt
Professional

Fair enough. Your thoughts on my earlier post?

Nick

Old 09-06-2004, 04:00 PM
MagnumFreak
Rookie

I imagine the ability to disable the system will not come from a manufacturer but an individual who will post the information. We will all be surprised at how easy it will be once someone takes the time to research it.

Quick Reply: Rear axle type????