Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

0-60 times with supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 06:17 AM
joseph
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 0-60 times with supercharger?

I know a stock Magnum RT runs 0-60 in 6.3 sec. maybe better with free flowing intake and exhaust, but what kind of 0-60 times can I expect if I supercharge the Hemi. I'm thinking low to mid 5's, what do you think?

Old 09-02-2004, 12:45 PM
MagnumRT
Captain
Default RE: 0-60 times with supercharger?

With a blower added on, your times may be slower.

LOSS OF TRACTION!

It all depends on tires and suspension, they will need some help.

You can't add one thing without upsetting something else.

Then there is the transmission, will it hold up?

Better think this one over before you proceed.

Good luck.

Bob

Old 09-02-2004, 03:34 PM
Tzar007

Correctly tuned, low 5s is certainly realistic for a 450-500 HP engine.

But Bob is correctly pointing at the biggest problems with such surgery on an engine: the issue is not getting a supercharger bolted on. This is simple enough. The issue is the mods required to other elements of the engine or the car to make sure the overall balance, reliability and durability remains the same. Depending on the setup, engine internals might have to be reinforced to sustain the bigger load. Transmission, clutch could have to be replaced. Suspension might have to be tweaked. Brakes have to be replaced with stronger ones. Chrysler engineers have balanced the RT Magnum to be working with a 340 HP engine, so things can go wrong atfter a while when you now run a 500 HP+ engine with the original mechanical elements.

I read somewhere that the basic rule of thumb for anybody who wants to supercharge or turbocharge is: adjust your budget so that you can invest twice as much as the SC or turbo itself cost, because other things will have to be modified.

Old 09-02-2004, 04:25 PM
shiltz
Captain

i'd think mid to high 4's would be closer to what to expect with a supercharged magnum depending on the hp gained from the supercharger, a stock RT can already do high 5's, heck car and driver got 5.3 out of a stock 300C in one of their tests which is just a magnum minus 100ish pounds, the SRT-8 concept did 0-60 in I belive 4.7 seconds and that's with 430hp, the kenne bell supercharger is suposed to push it up to 500hp, that's as much hp as an SRT-10 ram and about 800-1000lb lighter and the ram does in the 4.8 to 5.2 range depending on which magazine you look at.

Old 09-02-2004, 06:38 PM
joseph
Rookie

Thanks for the input.
Do you think an AWD RT might help plant the car since there will be so much HP?
P.S.: for reliability, I plan on getting the intercooled system from ATI, when they make one, and they probably will within a year.
As for the tranny, it should handle it fine, it comes from the V12 mercedes, right?

Old 09-02-2004, 08:09 PM
shiltz
Captain

AWD would definaly help right off the line, not sure how much it would help in the 1/4 though since it adds quite a bit of weight, I think around 250 pounds, also I think you lose a little more at the wheels with an AWD system though i'm not positive.

yeah the tranny is the same design one they used on the mercedes V12's just built in the US so it should be fine, we know for certain it's fine for at least 425hp as that's what the SRT-8 300 has and it still uses the same tranny, the question will be will the AWD system be able to handle the extra power.

Old 09-03-2004, 04:45 PM
thuffman03
Rookie

One thing to think of if you want to add more power is to look at what they did with the SRT8. They had to beef up the transmission to take the extra power. Be carefull of how much you increase becasue they only went up 85 hp and did alot to make it stable.

Quick Reply: 0-60 times with supercharger?