Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

wheel shake at 60mph+

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 11:10 AM
magnum4sissies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: wheel shake at 60mph+

Has anyone proved the exact cause of this vibration?

I'm curious, my Magnum is still under factory warranty, so I'm planning on taking it in the dealership to get what ever needs to be replaced, replaced. The wheel shakes at 60+ but only on some surfaces. Occasionally, I'll be going 60-80 and on certain parts of the free it'll quit shaking.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:57 PM
juanovm
Rookie

having had the same issue I have lots of info for you.

Chrysler 300 and Magnum 's are notorious for that.
You can have the car aligned, wheels balanced and it will still do it to some extent.
There is a TSB from dodge, since the car does not really align, and you need to purchase some adjusting bolts to shift the craddle and hence be able to align.
I did that....it did not work.
My issues began after I put on my 20".
A friend of mine owns a shop and we tried numerous times to align the car, we were not successfull at every single atempt, it was then when we found out that in order to align it, we would need to replace the top A arms for some where the ball joint would allow for some adjustment. The parts were like 300/each arm.
After doing this, the vibration was 90% gone and the alignment was perfect; however, since magnum has independent suspension on all four wheels, then the issue became the back. The back was within normal limits but I wanted my to be 0 degrees. I bought some other parts to properly align the back.
When talking with a service advisor at the stealership, he confirmed what I had been reading about those two vehicles having issues with alignment and that the TSB all it did was shift the craddle, which in some cases took care of the issue, but if you were running aftermarket wheels, it did nothing.

if you want the part numbers for both the front and the back parts I purchased to align, let me know and I will try to locate the receipts.

Good luck!!!!

ps: at the time when I got rid of my magnum, the vibration was starting again, I had the wheels balanced and re-did the alignment (which since my friend own the shop was free) and the car came back to perfection.
However, it had only been 6 months since I had previously done it...so it would be an expensive thing to have to be doing every 6 months.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:40 PM
kcarlson

Had the same problem.So at 40,000 miles I replaced rotors,brakes and tires myself.Had the same problem so I brought it in to the dealership.Guess what tie rods bad.outta tie rods where bad,known problem for mags.check those tie rods boys.Oh all better now.

Quick Reply: wheel shake at 60mph+