Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Has Anyone Replaced an Engine Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007 | 11:06 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
|
Captain
Default Has Anyone Replaced an Engine Yet?

Hi,
I was just curious if anyone has had to replace their Hemi yet. Besides blowing the engine with a Super Charger... (heard about the Holes in the Pistons) If you did have an Engine fail, what was the Mileage and how did it 'go'?

Old 06-19-2007 | 07:32 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
|
Captain
Default RE: Has Anyone Replaced an Engine Yet?

Brand New Engine going in.... Just arrived from Detroit... Sweet!

Old 06-19-2007 | 08:48 PM
Magmania
Veteran

What happened to yours?
Supercharger?
Give up the details.
Who's doing the swap and how much are they charging you?
And how much for the new engine?
5.7 or 6.1?

I have these questions because I already have about 73,000 miles on mine.
Let us know
Good Luck.

Old 06-19-2007 | 09:30 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
|
Captain

Installed a Hole in Piston #6...

Stock Engine, No Engine Mods... (K&N Air Filter if you can justify that as an EngineMod)

Drove home last Monday night. No problems. Drove her normal, just like always... (barely within Engine and Speed Limiter specifications) Stopped for Gas before I got home. Got back in and went to start her up. Nope.Didn't want tostart. So, I forced her to start with a little gas. It started, but ran very rough. So I decided to take it to the Dealer and drop it off overnight. Didn't make it there... Half way to the dealer, it started smoking, like really bad. It stopped smoking and running rough, but wouldn't go over 1,500 RPM. I was about 3 miles from the Dealer when it started smoking again, but this time it didn't stop. I pulled over and had it towed...

Dodge Dealer is doing the swap. $100 Warranty Deductable...

The $100 Warranty Deductable covers parts and labor...

Stock 5.7 Liter Engine...

60,049 Miles on it...

Dealer requested a New Short Block and (2) New Heads. Chysler required Maintenance Records to be verified. (helps to have all of your service done and logged on the Chysler computer system) Pictures had to be taken to ensure no work was done on it. Once Chysler verified there was no after market work done on their engine, the 'Hemi Plant' needed the pictures to authorize the New Engine. (don't know what they looked at) 3 days after I towed it in they told me that Chysler was shipping a New Engine from Detroit. Sweet!

Now I have a couple of questions:

1) Will I get a rebuilt engine? (2005 Hemi)
2) Will I get a next generation Hemi?
3) Will they ship a 'Plug and Play' crate motor?
4) Dodgemech, what is standard protocol here?

Old 06-20-2007 | 03:20 AM
Magmania
Veteran

All good questions that I don't have the answers to.
Somehow I can't imagine that the customer would ever get the best possible option (i.e. you would probably get a rebuilt one, probably not crate and definately not the next gen).
But who knows, maybe I'm just jaded and bitter from many of life's experiences.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Old 06-27-2007 | 04:16 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
|
Captain

Took a look at the Block and Heads... Looks like someone poured solder in the cylinder and the top of the Head from all of the melted Aluminum...

Old 06-27-2007 | 08:07 PM
LtlDad
Professional

Long time since I've seen you around.....not sure if you go to any of the "Meet and Greet" in SoCal, but Beach Burger is coming up (in HB on 1st Friday of July).

Old 06-27-2007 | 10:19 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
|
Captain

Ltl Dad,
I've always been around... Too busy draining all the fun out of that Hemi... Not sure if I will be in town for the 6th at Beach Burger. I have been to a couple Meet and Greets, but not enough single females to keep me still...

Old 07-03-2007 | 02:46 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
|
Captain

Had it for (1) night... But about a mile from my house, it got hot enough for the Fan to come on. There was some noise from the Fan and I could hear Water moving in the cabin. Heater Core I imagine. Air bubbles in the cooling system need to be bled. So, I brought it back in, again... They'll 'Check it out'...

But it did feel very tight! And sounded nice...

Old 07-17-2007 | 07:23 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
|
Captain

Got it back... Noise in the Fan was a bad Fan... Go figure... Repair was free. No deductable, since it happened the same day they fixed it. Car is great. Tight, quiet and all there... I mean all 345 horses. No Break-In-Engine-Computer-Retards like the new cars. No computer re-flash... I felt the power get released at 5,000 mile intervals on my Magnum when it was newer. Now it is all there at Mile #1, not Mile #30,000. No Crate Motor, but I did get a Rebuilt 5.7 Long Block with a New Intake Manifold. Plus, most of my 60,000 mile maintenance got done with the Engine Replacement. Total, the new engine deductable was actually less than service for 60,000 miles! Sweet!

Oh man... This sure is nice... Going to work the other day, it was so quiet I thought I was in an Electric Car... But then I hit the gas, nope, it's a Hemi! Smoother than new! I love it!

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Replaced an Engine Yet?