Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Scratches/Paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007 | 05:43 AM
Hazard07
|
Default Scratches/Paint

I guess this is general to every car but I need some help on this one. I just got my 2006 Magnum SXT about 3 weeks ago...when I was cleaning it the other day I noticed some very ugly scratches going across the top of theroof. It looks like the last moron decided to haul 2X4's with nails in it and no roof rack..

Took the car into the dealership to see what they could do for me. Said they could seal the scratches and make sure they don't start rusting. Got the car back and well there is maybe some touch up paint and some sealer.

Coming from the dealership this is no surprise to me.

You definatly can still see the scratches maybe not as bad...but bad enough to drive me nuts..

Is there anyway I could fix this without having to do a expensive paint job on her?

Not to well educated on what is on the market now when it comes to paint repairs.

I would say that most of the scratches are past the clear coat and the paint..but no further.

Thanks all for your input it is greatly appriciated.

Old 06-20-2007 | 11:27 AM
darkrt
Professional
Default RE: Scratches/Paint

If its down to the metal, its touch up or paint the roof.

Old 06-20-2007 | 02:49 PM
Strykker
Professional

My suggestion will take some time and elbow work or Porter Cable Polisher but it works.

Get yourself some touch up paint and go to a craft store and buy a quality artist brush that has a very thin head (don't use the brush that comes with the kits they are not soft enough and are hard to work with on fine lines and chips)and use it to run paint in the scratch, you may have to do a few thin coats (light compound between coats to keep the repair smooth), then polish it out with a quality buffer pad and Scratch-X.

Take your time and build up the repair is the key if the touchup paint is dead on you can just about make the repair invisible to the average eye.

Old 06-20-2007 | 10:50 PM
magmagnum
Rookie

It depends on the color of the car...if it`s white or black , you might get away w/the touch-up , sand-and-buff trick , but met. colors are going to show worse. All depends on what you consider to be O.K.