Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

E-Brake Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 04:17 PM
thumper68
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Brake Trouble

I have the 05 R/T Hemi. Since I've bought the car the e-brake has not worked. I've taken it back to the dealer several times. Now I think the dealership thinks I'm causing trouble. Shouldn't an e-brake hold on a hill? They claim they compared it with another 05 and it was the same. I've actually had my car in park, the e-brake on and the keys in my hand and it wasskipping down the hill. Anyone think this is a problem or is it just me? I was taught to put the car in neutral and put the e-brake on every time you park. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 06-20-2007, 05:41 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain
Default RE: E-Brake Trouble

You have an Automatic Transmission, not a Manual. Always put the Car in Park when you leave the Car... Only leave it in Neutral when being towed... If your Car is going downhill, the Transmission is broke. I park on an incline everyday. Stop. Put it in Park. Apply Parking Brake. No problems. Try that. Let me know if you still have problems.

Note: If you are putting an Automatic Transmission in Neutral and not using Park, I can see why the Dealer is giving you slack...

Old 06-20-2007, 05:49 PM
thumper68

Its an automatic. I was taught to put the car in neutral, put on the e-brake, put the car in park and take the key out. The e-brake is supposed to hold the car, not the transmission. This technique is supposed to extend the life of your tranny. Plus, I'm sure you've noticed that if you don't put the car in park the key doesn't come out. Thanks for the input.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:29 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

Thumper 68,
Exactly. You are using your Parking Brake correctly. (I didn't think the Keys would pull out if not in Park, but my car is in the shop right now and I didn't want to post something I wasn't sure of...) If your car is still skipping down a hill, the Transmission is not holding it.

Or, are you talking about the car movinga couple of inches until the Car rests against the Parking Pin in the Transmission? If that is the case, it is normal. Like I stated, I park on an incline everyday. I park and engage the Parking Brake. Then it squeaks as it rolls like a half inch while we get out and unload the car. You just have to adjust the Parking Brake more often, that seems to tighten it up for me. But normally it does not roll down enough to hit the Parking Pin, it just gives a little bit.

Lastly, if you are not satisfied with the Service you are getting, just go to the next dealer for service, see if they treat you better... I have a Dodge dealer like 1.5 miles from my house, but they are dicks, so I don't go there. Within 15 miles there are 2 really good dealerships that actually seem to care about customer service, not just selling cars...

Old 06-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Magmania
Veteran

I am with 2005 Magnum RT on this one.
I have always stopped, put it in park, set the brake and pull the key and leave.
I have never heard of any significant tranny problems by having the car in park before setting the brake.
Also, if the transmission is in park it should not be skipping down the hill unless the tranny is broken or defective.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:35 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

Thumper 68,
What did you find out at the Dealer for your Parking Brake? Was it a loose cable? Needed adjustment?

Mysteriously, after reading your thread on your failing Parking Brake, I noticed my Parking Brake give way to the point that it would roll down the driveway in Neutral, even after I tried adjusting it with the Old School Reverse trick. (not too sure that works with Disc Brakes)

BTW, be sure to search and read my thread about a small hole in Piston #6. Good luck with that... [8D]

But my Parking Brake works fine now, and I did nothing to it...[&:] Just wondering what was wrong with yours. Let us know!

Old 11-16-2007, 02:39 PM
welshy

Thumper68,

Umm, ok you are pretty dumb to not put an auto trans in park.
Even if you drive a car with a manual (I have a 2006 Acura TL 6 speed) as well, you still have to put the car in 1st or reverse when you park on a hill, as the e-brake alone will not hold all the weight of the car on a hill.
This is even in the owners manual of my Acura.

This car weighs over 4200 pounds, an ebrake generally locks one wheel.
If i park my Acura on a hill and just put an e brake on it would do the same thing.

I do agree the e-brake is loose feeling meaning you have to press the pedal futher than what I feel you should, but you need to put it in park.

What the proper procedure is when parking on a hill is as follows:
- if by a curb and parallel parking turn your front wheels so the car rolls into the curb gently.
-while depressing the regular brake pedal with your right foot, apply the parking brake.
-put the transmission selector into park.
-release the brake pedal (the car will gently roll slightly).

Boy how do some people get by not knowing how to properly even drive.

Quick Reply: E-Brake Trouble