Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Can't get out of park.. Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 03:40 AM
05 SXT Mag
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get out of park.. Transmission problem

I have an 05 SXT Magnum that I bought at the end of 04. Sometimes the shift lever will not budge out of park even though the car is running and my foot is on the brake. Even after pumping the brake numerous times it still will not go out of park, sometimes for a minute or more. I even have to physically force the shifter it into drive at times with heavy resistance. Best way to describe the effect is if you tried to take the car out of park without stepping on the brake. It is very spurratic and will do it every time one day and then not again for a couple days, even weeks. Every time I take it to the mechanic they can't fix it because it just so happens to work when there. I hope someone else has had this problem and knows what it is so the dealership can fix it.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:17 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: Can't get out of park.. Transmission problem

Based on what you said, it sounds like a shift interlock cable issue. Do they ever inspect the components, or just say "its working now." If they havent checked it out, either find a better shop, or stamp your feet and insist on the work being acomplished.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:32 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain

do u have a nag tranny??? if u dont know give me the last 8 of the vin and I will tell u why I ask is because if u have an electronic shifter and a dealer will be able to see if there is any codes for that.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:30 AM
pjosephlv

Should bea manual release lever/switch on the right side of the shifter under the bezel.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:42 AM
FastEddie87

I had the same prob. Dealer said it was a bad Shifter.? I Don;t know they replaced it . Works Fine now! Well that was before getting T Boned.I thought it was a total, but they said so close to they have it all a part will know Monday![8D]

Quick Reply: Can't get out of park.. Transmission problem