Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Cheap INtakes for Magnum SXT and RTs

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 07:44 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap INtakes for Magnum SXT and RTs

Seen this on another forum

i work with custom cars all day and i took an intake kit made for another vehicle with a similar style air intake and with very little modification added it to my new sxt
believe it or not the complete kit was only $70 at a local retailer and all i had to do was shorten the pipe 3" to fit it in - the new mounting bracket even mounted up -
the kit i used was for a 96-00 honda civic si made by apc

and just for reference the kit for 96-00 civic dx-lx will fit on the RT with the same slight mod

[IMG]local://upfiles/2144/456AE94E72F54A1296BD36AB760385F0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-01-2004, 09:00 PM
kazinvan
Default RE: Cheap INtakes for Magnum SXT and RTs

Is the diameter of the intake the same? I would expect a 5.7L V8 to need a larger diameter intake than a little 4-banger. If it's the same then it's a good way to go.

Old 11-01-2004, 11:21 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

You got me on that. I just saw this at another site and thought it was good food for thought. Im in the air force and stuck on base right now. I was thinking that someone could head out to a shop and see if the diameters of the tubes are the same for the engines.

Old 11-02-2004, 04:01 AM
Raxstone
Rookie

Don't forget, those APC cone filters are smaller than a decent K&N, not to mention the better cones that are out there (like S&B, for example). So, for $70 you are basically getting a pipe (which you need to cut) and a silicon connector. A simple plumbing store can provide all the 3" piping I need, and I'd only be out maybe $20. It might not have the 'bling' of the chrome ricer pipe, but it would be much cheaper and more effective.

Old 11-02-2004, 03:35 PM
sikpuppy
Professional

What forum did you find this and do you know how the mass flow sensor was installed on the new intake??

Thanks!

Old 11-04-2004, 03:29 PM
joseph
Rookie

Nice looking HOT air intake, it probably will worsen your performance. Make a heat shield or go back to stock.

Old 11-04-2004, 04:14 PM
sikpuppy
Professional

I was actually just wanting to get my hands on one for measurement and possible adaptation. Ultimate plan is to make one out of seamless stainless steel (buddy of mine has about 4,000' of 3" SS tubing, 45 and 90 elbows) which would be a TRUE CAI and possibly even ram induction if everything goes well. Once completed, we may even try to market it for the 3.5 L since nobody else is going that direction.

Tim

Old 11-05-2004, 09:22 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

dodgemagnum.net is where i found it. I agree that it is a HOT air intake. I played the intake and exhaust game with the Ram and found that it was nothing but a waste of money. K&N filter left black oily residue on the inside of the throttle body. Glass pack exhaust too free flowing, killed mid range power. Flowmaster single-in dual-out brought it back up to stock performance and pretty good sound. Even used a tonneau cover to try to get better gas milage. I found the only way to get better than 11mpg in the Ram was to get the Magnum SXT getting 19 even with heavy foot.

Old 11-19-2004, 06:22 PM
magnuman
Rookie

I made a CAI for my RT that draws cold air from behind the grill, not the engine compartment like most of the commercial ones. Cost a grand total of $ 10 and took about 2 1/2 hours to do. My post with pictures is located at, http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35585. I also removed the "ear drum silencer" in the left wheel well and determined there would be no gain to remove or modify it, unless you want more noise. There are NO restriction in this device. You can stick your arm straight through it from intake opening to air box. Needless to say, I put it back in without modification. I also gave thought to replacing the rubber flex tube from the air box to the throttle body because of the flex serrations. I also decided there would not be any significant difference, because the flex tube is quite a bit larger than the throttle body opening. The biggest gain would probably be a reduction of turbulance through the duct. Anyone else have any ideas, thoughts or comments on this? Has anyone else tried something different? If so, how is it working?

Old 11-19-2004, 06:25 PM
magnuman
Rookie

That's Dodgetalk.com

Quick Reply: Cheap INtakes for Magnum SXT and RTs