Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Remote starters

Old 11-05-2004, 02:38 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote starters

OK boys and girls, we got our remote systems in on Monday and I just installed the first one today. Be prepared to spend an afternoon doing this, it is not bad but doing it cleanly will take some extra time. Nice kit, easy to follow instructions. I substituted rivets for sheet metal screws in most of the places. I also added some wire to the tach signal to hide it in the engine harness and added a quick disconnect for future servicing. Total kit cost is right at 300.00. I guess for those in the east with those really cold mornings it would be nice to have the car already toasty inside before you ran out into the cold.

Old 11-05-2004, 01:03 PM
shiltz
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Remote starters

did the kit itself come with the installation instructions, or did you get them somewhere else?

Old 11-05-2004, 02:04 PM
sikpuppy
Professional

I started to get the factory remote start but why bother?? You can get a top of the line Viper system, INSTALLED, with remote start, intrusion alarm, THAT WILL PAGE YOU IF YOUR CAR IS TAMPERED WITH, and has a range of ~ 2 miles, all for $350.00. With the cost of the factory module and installation kit ($300.00 + tax) then you have to install and you STILL have no way of truly protecting your car/investment, all you have is the remote start. Before installing the factory remote start, go to your local car audio place and do a little research into an after market system. If all you want is a remote start, you can get an after market remote start, once again INSTALLED, for under $200.00. Just my $0.02 worth. Good luck!!

Old 11-05-2004, 02:31 PM
dansk

Well said sikpuppy, then clincher is that the chrysler remote start still gives you another big honkin fob to carry around like any aftermarket unit. I could almost see getting it if they gave you new keys for the car with the remote starter button on that. I consider the chrysler option to be an aftermarket kit that is just sold through chrysler so that they can make $$ on it.

Old 11-05-2004, 02:43 PM
sikpuppy
Professional

One thing to keep in mind. Most of these items DC is coming out with are for a BRAND NEW VEHICLE, FIRST YEAR. I would really expect a lot of these NEW items we are finding and purchasing will become factory options or package options in next year's releases. Still, the new Magnums and 300C are awesome vehicles. We, the proud first year owners, are as usual, guinea pigs for everything so that the Johnny Come Lately crowd (those that want to "wait until all the bugs get worked out") will benefit from our headaches and initmate relationship with all the "bugs" during the break-in period of a new vehicle line. Just like in Star Trek, we that "boldly go where no man has gone before" get the priviledge of dealing with all the BS but we no matter what "WE HAVE THE FIRST ONES!!!!! Those other guys will never be able to say that, no matter what.

Old 11-05-2004, 04:34 PM
Jax

How does either system (DX or Viper) account for the chip in the key? Does the system have a defeat? Is the DX defeat part time, while the aftermarket ones are full time?

Just starting to look into this as my toes get colder here in MA, home of the defeated Canidate John Kerry!

Thanks.
Jax

Old 11-05-2004, 04:38 PM
shiltz
Captain

well the thing with those aftermarket systems is they will cost quite a bit extra than what you see, those prices are always before figuring in the extra costs because of the factory alarm system and sentry key on the magnums, the sentry key alone is going to cost you another $100 cause they will need a key to pull the chip out of it, also a good just remote starter will cost you more than $200 installed, for $200 installed you are only going to get a cheapo one with probably a 100-200 foot range.

Old 11-05-2004, 06:52 PM
sikpuppy
Professional

[sm=sigh.gif] WRONG!! Yes you loose a key but you should have two already. THe key does not get destroyed but is inserted to a reader that is hooked up to the alarm system. So, if you want another backup key, pay the extra bucks for another. ANd by the way, I have the Viper installed on my Magnum, remote start, service relay, intrusion, movement, audio sensors installed, remote two-way alarm good up to approx 2 miles, installed for $365.00 which included tax, so, it's an individual thing in the end. $300.00 for a factor remote start (if you install it yourself), or $365.00 for a paging alarm system w/remote start installed for $365.00 +/-. and yes you can get a decent remote start installed for under $200.00 w/ about a 500' range which should be good enough for most people I would hope.

Old 11-06-2004, 12:36 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few thoughts, only because I deal with this everyday. Aftermarket systems suck, the installers are incompetent and butcher the factory wiring. This may not seem like too big of an issue, except that a few years down the road you are in my service drive with all sorts of weird electrical problems. Usually I find poor solder less connections or loose scothlock style connectors. Unfortunately the customer than has a bill of like 500.00 for me to fix it. I also get a lot of defective alarm components that cause lots issues. Lastly, your cars already have state of the art, almost impossible to hack anti-theft systems. A lot of these aftermarket components are not compatible with the SKREEM system or the RKE systems. These systems are difficult enough to diagnose without all the aftermarket JUNK. The factory remote starter requires very little splicing and all SKREEM controls are handled within the module.

The OE remoter starter has several anti-theft precautions, if the hood is opened, if the brake pedal is pressed (needed to shift out of park), if the RPMs rise above 1800, or if the engine runs more than 10 minutes without a valid SKREEM signal the system shuts down.

I have seen the aftermarket systems and the installers, I wouldn't let them near anything I own or friends/family/customers.

Old 11-06-2004, 08:14 PM
dansk

I gotta go along with dodgemech on this one. I had a remote starter installed on my Ford diesel by the most reputable stereo place around and he is right about the hack job done on the factory wiring. I won't go into the story, but let's just say that I wouldn't rush right back to let those high school hackers touch my Magnum. Funny thing is, they do a big business and have a great reputation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote starters