DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Magnum (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-magnum-60/)
-   -   It's official. The Magnum is discontinued (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-magnum/131289-its-official-the-magnum-is-discontinued.html)

dcxguy 11-01-2007 03:52 PM

It's official. The Magnum is discontinued

Bob Nardelli sent us an internal email memo this morning. Part of it said:

Four models will be eliminated through 2008 -- the Dodge Magnum, the convertible version of Chrysler PT Cruiser, Chrysler Pacifica and Chrysler Crossfire. During the same time frame, we will add the all-new Dodge Journey and Dodge Challenger to our portfolio, along with two new hybrid versions of the Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango.

It's a sad day for me. I love my Mag. :(

MagnumMan08 11-01-2007 05:21 PM

RE: It's official. The Magnum is discontinued

so what does this mean in terms of timeline? I mean is the Magnum dead as of right now? Why would they have spent the money to update it only to kill it at the beginning of the model year? well if I can't get my hands on a new 08 SRT-8 then I guess it will be a leftover 07 for me!

Mooneyass 11-01-2007 05:32 PM

On the bright side, my 06 R/T hasnt been named but from this day on it'll be know as the Dodo!

KRZY.BMET 11-01-2007 06:35 PM

Holy cow, that sucks. I really like the magnum.

mopar2ya 11-02-2007 12:52 AM

2008 is the last year for Magnum. IMO the Journey is a lifted Caliber with a few tweaks. Im not caring for it much at all. Its a crowed segment of the market that didnt need another.

The Magnum is set apart from anything else, its doesnt look like a Tarus Wagon or a Mercedes wagon, you see it and its head and sholders above the rest of the wagons...

Scimitar 11-02-2007 09:52 AM

Well, the PT Cruiser convertible should never have been built, anyway---ugly, overpriced, and a niche-market vehicle at best. DC refused to build the PT Panel, which would have had a much better market than that stupid convertible.The PT itself still has good potential with some updating, but NOT as another version of that abomination known as the Caliber. If Chrysler wants to get rid of some non-viable vehicles, they should start with the Durango and the Aspen. Making hybrids out of them to try to keep them out of gas-guzzler range is just dumb.Jeep needs to kill both of those Caliber clones rebadged as Jeeps, as well as that absolutely idiotic Commander. There's no need for the Dodge Dakota, either. The Challenger will sell like hotcakes for about 6 months, and after that they won't be able to give them away. When gas hits 4 or 5 bucks a gallon, they won't be able to give Hemi's away. I'd been leery of buying any Chrysler product I wasn't going to trade in a couple of years---with the bean counters running the show, Chrysler won't be around in 5 years.

2005 Magnum R/T Hemi 11-02-2007 05:24 PM

Yes! I figured with the political green movement and the high price of gas, these cars wouldn't last long. Now I hope that the Challenger doesn't make it past the 2nd year in production... I need the 2nd year production for the SRT... Collector Cars!

Yea, yea. I know. No 'Collector Car' as there were so many of them made. Give it time...

46FD04 11-02-2007 08:48 PM

I just bought an '07 Dodge Magnum SXT.

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding parts? Are we going to have problems in the future getting replacement parts for the Magnum?

Does anyone know the reason for the Magnum's demise?

Also, I heard here in Toronto (where the Magnum is built), that it will be discontinued in Jan.2008.

GT

HeRoze 11-03-2007 07:30 PM

Well, I look at this as a good thing. With no more coming from the dealers, the Magnum won't be overbooked in the market. If someone in the future wants one, they have to come to one of us to get it. I like that. I like that a lot.

I don't think parts will be a problem either. The Magnum is enough like the 300 for lots of parts, and isn't some rareity either.

ebologna 11-04-2007 08:41 PM

I can't believe this. I don't understand why Chrysler would want to discontinue the Magnum. Out of any Dodge vehicle I have seen, I think the Magnum has been my favorite. My mom has one and I love driving it. They handle great and, knock-on-wood, are problem free. I have been looking at the pictures of the new 2008 Magnums and I really like the new front end design. What a shame. And something that has been bothering me, what is the deal with the new "key fob". It doesn't look like it has a key on it, unless its like a Volkswagon key where the actual key pops out of the fob. I don't know. Could someone please explain that?

Dijon01 11-11-2007 07:41 PM

Greetings.

My first post in this forum.

Well, I have been shopping Magnums.. to buy in spring 2008. The discontinuation is not going to stop my buying one.

I am looking to get an SXT.

I have browsed through som of the other topics on this board and have gotten some good insight into things to look for when buying.

I like the look of the car and I have taken one for a test drive.

araudan 11-15-2007 03:31 PM

After seeing the Dodge Journey I can understand the perception that models are duplicated within Chysler though. The styling looks like it was intended for the next gen Magnum. Too bad though, I like my car because it's not a crossover.

oxxboxx 11-15-2007 09:50 PM

I found out the Magnum was discontinued about three weeks after I bought an 07 SXT. If I can keep the car in good shape, and let my son drive something else, it will be a classic in 20 years. I wonder if the "lifetime" warranty will still be in effect.

And did you see the possible wagon coming from GM (out of Australia)? It resembles......a Magnum.

dcxguy 11-16-2007 05:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Dijon01

Greetings.

My first post in this forum.

Well, I have been shopping Magnums.. to buy in spring 2008. The discontinuation is not going to stop my buying one.

I am looking to get an SXT.

I have browsed through som of the other topics on this board and have gotten some good insight into things to look for when buying.

I like the look of the car and I have taken one for a test drive.

You better buy or order one right now. It seems November is the last month for taking Magnum orders. Talk to your dealer asap.

magnumsrt8pick 11-18-2007 04:27 PM

Hmmm...

This may put a big monkey wrench in my plan. I was thinking that I liked some of the interior features of the 08 better than the 07s or 06s that I have been seeing. Mainly really the cruise control lever. BUT I was going to purchase a used 08 in 09.

Any thoughts about that from anyone in the know?

oxxboxx 11-18-2007 04:48 PM

I went with an 07 SXT, instead of an 08, for a couple of reasons. The 07 SXT uses a 5 speed tranny with a lower gear ratio rear diff, 19/27 MPG. The 08 SXT uses a 4 speed tranny and a higher ratio rear diff (17/24 MPG)...just barely above a Hemi. And the cruise control isn't too bad, you get used to it. Same cruise control in a Mercedes AMG.

magnumsrt8pick 11-19-2007 10:19 PM

Yes, I suppose like anything else I could get used to the cruise control. :)U make a good point. More importantly for me though is whether or not parts would be available for the car now that it is discontinued.

I have heard from a few people that I would be SOL if I were to have a problem with the car because parts would no longer be available. Obviously, the Magnum shares a ton parts with the Charger and 300. Just wondering if there might be something that I am missing in regard to parts specific for the Magnum that will no longer be available.

2k7RT 11-21-2007 03:05 AM

Hell yeah!!!.
A sure future classic. Parts will be no prob. As for gas$3 to $4 to maybe $5-$7. Just adapt to these scumbag oil theives. Find a closer job or ask, I mean demand a raise, for this Dammit to Hell inflation. I'm just waiting for this mutha-effen to hit $4 in cali so I can take action. And then one day in 2k9 when gas is back to $1.00 a gallon....I will floor my sh*t 24/7!. For now its MDS cruisin my brothas.

Lates!

magmagnum 11-21-2007 02:47 PM

Parts availability will not be a problem....think of how many cars change every few years , and you can still buy parts for them , even though they no longer make that exact car anymore. Very few parts are normally carried over from a major makeover.

.....oh , and don`t hold your breath for gas to be $1 a gallon ever again...$2.25-$2.50 MAYBE[sm=sigh.gif]

magnumsrt8pick 11-22-2007 09:29 PM

I guess I should have phrased my concern about parts differently.

You make a good point that there are lots of discontinued cars out there with parts that are still available. However, how many of those cars are limited production vehicles like the SRT that were once manufactured in concert with a company that is no longer part of the partnership.

It could very well be that I am overstating this or perhaps overly concerned. But, if I buy this car, I am going out on a limb with it, because I would be trading in a trusty minivan for it. So I guess that I am trying to make sure that while the decision is mostly about fun driving...well ALL about fun driving... it doesn't blow up in my face.

joeyjrfl 11-23-2007 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Scimitar

Well, the PT Cruiser convertible should never have been built, anyway---ugly, overpriced, and a niche-market vehicle at best. DC refused to build the PT Panel, which would have had a much better market than that stupid convertible. The PT itself still has good potential with some updating, but NOT as another version of that abomination known as the Caliber. If Chrysler wants to get rid of some non-viable vehicles, they should start with the Durango and the Aspen. Making hybrids out of them to try to keep them out of gas-guzzler range is just dumb. Jeep needs to kill both of those Caliber clones rebadged as Jeeps, as well as that absolutely idiotic Commander. There's no need for the Dodge Dakota, either. The Challenger will sell like hotcakes for about 6 months, and after that they won't be able to give them away. When gas hits 4 or 5 bucks a gallon, they won't be able to give Hemi's away. I'd been leery of buying any Chrysler product I wasn't going to trade in a couple of years---with the bean counters running the show, Chrysler won't be around in 5 years.
From the sounds of your posts you should be driving Fords or something Trust me Chrysler will be around long after your gone whoo whoo

FOURTEEN 03-29-2008 02:25 AM

Don't care!!My red 2005 RT with chrome 22s is still getting at least one person a week to compliment me for having such a nice car!! Really! I have been driving sharp cars for 50 years, but this Magnum has gotten more positive responses than all the rest of them put together! WalMart, gas stations, stoplights, even cruising down I40 at 70 mph, I get thumbs up, questions, or just admiration!!

Last Summer I went to a local car show. People stopped to check out my Magnum about as often as they checked out the classic cars and hot rods around it! They often referred to the Magnum as a "new classic" or a"future classic"!

So, with few Magnums on the road, and the Magnum discontinued, the praise should continue. I really don't know what I could buy that would give me more WOWs for the buck!!

Meanwhile, I am getting 25 mpg on I40 at 65 mph, can easily tow my 3000# trailer, and enjoy more room, comfort, and performance than just about anything else on the road!! And it's not just another sedan, SUV, Mustang, Vette, crossover, or pickup!

PS: On the website for the new Porsche Cayenne GTS it says: "The Bloodlines Are Unmistakable" ! They are right! The GTS looks very much like a poor Magnum copy!!
It seems that the trend is from SUVs to crossovers and eventually to wagons! I think Dodge pulled the plug way too early!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/11068/6A7FDB1570B44DBA843FDDAA828DC0A1.jpg[/IMG]