Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Slow to engage out of Park

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 12:34 PM
daven9007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow to engage out of Park

New 07 Magnum RT R/T. When I shift from Park to Drive or Reverse it takes threeor fourseconds for the tranny to engage.If you start to even lightlystep on the gas beforeit engages it will shudder. A new06 SXT AWD I drove acted the same way. Is this 3 second pause normal or just a coincidence?! Anyone else notice this delay? Shifting between gears is fine.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:03 PM
parawxman
Default RE: Slow to engage out of Park

Yes, my 2005 AWD RT had / has the same problem. Multiple visits to the Dodge dealer resulted in "performs as designed" on the service order. Finally made progress with the shop foreman on a test drive and showed the problem. Had him imagine backing out of his driveway in front of an unseen speeding car. He finally got the idea when it was presented as "this car is dangerous to drive because of this problem". Shop foreman searched Dodge online updates and added a transmission update, (possibly two) to my car. I've learned to be careful about letting them put the latest engine management update in my car, as the one they loaded into the car at six months old only made the car get worse mileage and performance. It is finally better, (almost tollerable) 2.5 years later. Strange that your trans acts that way, I thought the Road and Track optioned RT's had SRT programmed transmissions. I have driven a 07 Charger RT R/T that does not exhibit this problem. Also, my SRT-6 with the same trans does not exhibit this problem. Good luck with your Dodge dealer...try the "it's dangerous to drive" line...and it is

Old 11-17-2007, 05:01 PM
daven9007
Default RE: Slow to engage out of Park

Thanks much for relaying your experience. It does seem to vary a little, and of course it would behave its best on a dealer visit. At 3400 miles now, I'll see if it gets better by 5000. I despise having the dealer work on it. At least it has the lifetime drivetrain warranty, although I really hope I won't have to find out how good that is.

[IMG]local://upfiles/78186/29D65915A5AB42ECB2AF6EA38A7B1D60.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Slow to engage out of Park