Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Size matters

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 10:39 PM
bobschm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Size matters

I know you youngsters are gonna disagree, but I don't like the huge wheel/tiny tire look.

In fact, I'm thinking more retro... smaller 17 inch or 16 inch 60's muscle car style Cragars with tall tires to keep the speedo correct. Less chrome, more black.

Bob
RT in Blaze red or is that inferno red?

[IMG]local://upfiles/9440/46D91F6BA4D04773993402E001F1008F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-29-2004, 10:48 PM
darkrt
Professional
Default RE: Size matters

I like the retro look too! I like em' up to 20". I'm looking for black centers with polished lip for my Mineral Grey.

Old 11-29-2004, 11:07 PM
chefboyrlee
Professional

to each his own...
just my opinion, but the lines of that style wheel doesnt match the lines of the mags. they look better on cars from the 60s.
but i bet it would look good if u had 16" cragars w/big slicks in the rear and some skinny 19" wheels up front. prostock style .

Old 11-29-2004, 11:44 PM
BillB
Rookie

I like mine.[IMG] Magnum wheels 2.JPG[/IMG]

Old 11-30-2004, 12:42 AM
sikpuppy
Professional

Well, I am definitely no youngster since I am near 50 now, but the size of the wheel and tire just doesn't matter where the speedo is concerned as long as you keep the overall diameter the same. That's why, when you go to a larger diameter wheel, say like my 20s, you go with a lower PERFORMANCE tire which has a higher speed rating and lower profile, thus less sidewall roll and better ability to CORNER. Everyone has become so **** about the Magnum's go fast properties that no one has even discussed how great these cars handle in other than a straight line. That's why I went with a larger diameter, lower profile tire, for the enhanced handling, especially now that I have my Eibachs on. It handled great before, now it is freaking aswesome!! Still, like Bob says, it is a personal preference thing and that's about it. To each his own as the saying goes. Just enjoy your Mag, no matter how you set it up 'cause they are FUN!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-30-2004, 02:44 AM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

Hey SIK. Have you posted any pics after the lowering? Come tax time im getting the spings also. Luckily on base we have an auto hobby shop so i can do it myself with all the correct tools. Im not a big fan of the big rim and rubber band rubber, but they do look good. Too bad Dodge isnt smart enought to offer 20's stock. If I had the Hemi and some spare $$$ around, I would go with a tub job and some big ol Mickey T's in the rear. I did it to an old El Camino I had ages ago. I can only imagine what a pain to modify the 5-link rear would be. But some 35's in the rear would look damn good.

Old 11-30-2004, 01:38 PM
via500
Professional

You'll get a smoother ride with taller sidewalls. We had this discussion on the Mercedes list where they all HAVE to have low profile tires and I asked - fine but do you know the tradeoff? What tradeoff - what do you mean??? I said just hit a pothole that's what I mean. Tall sidewalls soak up the bumps where low profiles simply cannot.

Old 11-30-2004, 03:27 PM
sikpuppy
Professional

Very true on the smoothness of the ride. So it depends on if you want to set your car up as a true, as DC says, sports tourer, or as a performer which I like a little of both thus, after experimenting with tire sizes from 17's to 22's, I opted for the 20s. Best combo for me and as before, it is a personal preference. None are wrong, just different.

Old 11-30-2004, 03:30 PM
sikpuppy
Professional

Hey SIK. Have you posted any pics after the lowering? Come tax time im getting the spings also. Luckily on base we have an auto hobby shop so i can do it myself with all the correct tools. Im not a big fan of the big rim and rubber band rubber, but they do look good. Too bad Dodge isnt smart enought to offer 20's stock. If I had the Hemi and some spare $$$ around, I would go with a tub job and some big ol Mickey T's in the rear. I did it to an old El Camino I had ages ago. I can only imagine what a pain to modify the 5-link rear would be. But some 35's in the rear would look damn good.
YEah, check out my gallery, have several there. I am going by the dealership either today or tomorror and am going to some measurements between mine and totally stock and will post once I get them.

Old 11-30-2004, 04:27 PM
chily3
Rookie

[8D]Lower Profile tires do ride harder, that is why tire pressure is 30 pounds rather than 35-40 for 50 series. I did not notice much difference when I went from the sxt wheels tires to rt wheels tires. Aspect is really pretty much the same.

Will not be going any larger on wheels, I also like the "smaller" look. If 18" is considered small.

mike

Quick Reply: Size matters