Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

AWD Magnum RT vs RWD Magnum RT

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 05:27 PM
MagnumClub
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD Magnum RT vs RWD Magnum RT

Has anyone had a chance to compare and constrast (I mean really test drive hard) the differences between the AWD Magnum RT and the RWD Magnum RT?
www.dodgemagnumclub.com
www.magnumownersclub.com

Old 12-02-2004, 05:09 AM
Scott
Default RE: AWD Magnum RT vs RWD Magnum RT

I think RWD and AWD owners need to get together and trade off machines, drive the same sections of road a few times and discuss observations.

What are the agreed upon obserations (not theories) have been made so far?

I noticed the Dodge website exterior specs lists the ground clearance as 1 inch greater for the AWD. A higher CG would certainly effect handling. However, this spec may be an error since the overall vehicle height (58 inches) is listed as the same. I am going to measure both cars. I am in the process of buying an AWD, but want to resolve the question.

Old 12-02-2004, 02:59 PM
darkrt
Professional

I have an AWD and compared it to a RWD at the dealer. I can't tell if they are taller,but the gap between the top of the tire and the finder edge is about an inch greater on the AWD.

Old 12-02-2004, 03:04 PM
Wicked96SS

I believe that the AWD comes with a 3.07 gearing compared to the RT's (I believe) 2.82 gearing... I am wondering if this was done because of the parasitic loss in the transmission / transfer case (or whatever it is called)... just something to bring back some of the "responsiveness" that might have been lost going to AWD...

Anyhow, this is not fact, merely speculation.... am I right that the AWD have 3.07 "rear end" gears?

Old 12-02-2004, 05:13 PM
MagnumClub

Yep, AWD has a 3.07 rear end vs 2.82 for the RWD. Scott's right - we need to line up a slalom test-drive course. Rather than driving each other's vehicles maybe a dealer would lend us a couple of Magnums to beat on?! - Ha, yeah right!

Old 12-02-2004, 08:23 PM
Scott

darkrt,

Thanks for the reply. An extra inch of clearance measured at the tire is a good indication that the website is correct when it indicates that the ground clearance is greater for the AWD, but incorrect when the overall height is the same for the AWD and RWD.

I test drove both the RWD and the AWD. Most of the time was spent with the RWD. I was impressed with the RWD stability when crusing at 75-80 mph and that it had a nice combination of control and bump absorbion. By stability, I mean that road irregularities did not cause the RWD Magnum to wander, and when changing lanes and turning, the car provided an assurance of control.

My test drive of the AWD was brief and because I mistakenly thought the only difference was the front drivetrain and suspension, I was mostly focused on the steering and bump handling in the front. I found these characteristics fine on the AWD. Driving an on-ramp with a 270 degree turn, the tires on the AWD seemed to squeel sooner than those on the RWD, but it wasn't an "apples to apples" comparison, because I drove the AWD on a different ramp with a rougher texture concrete.

Had I been aware that the RWD, had a higher CG (Center of Gravity), I would have done another cruise at 80 mph to see how stable it was and some more careful cornoring tests. Since you are an owner can you please comment on the AWD RT's stabilty at speed? Did you do a driving comparision with the RWD?

The effect on the CG from raising the car 1 inch is somewhat offset by the addition in the weight of the AWD drive train, which, of course, is at the bottom of the chassis. However, the physics equations won't tell me as much as some driving experience.

I have signed the contract for the purchase of a AWD RT, but have not taken delivery. It might be ready for pickup tonight, Thursday. I have alerted my dealer to this concern and he wants to me to be satisfied (an attitude I am thankful for). He offered both RWD and AWD cars for another test drive, however, snow is in the forecast. ...

Obviously, if you are able to reply quickly, it would be very appreciated.

Quick Reply: AWD Magnum RT vs RWD Magnum RT