Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

factory headunit swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 02:24 PM
MikeW88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default factory headunit swap

hey, new member here. I just bought a 2005 Magnum SXT with 75,000 kms a few weeks ago. I'm still trying to work out a few bugs with the car...like the squeaks from behind the rear seat. Other than that, I absolutely love it! I just sold my 94 Camaro and I'm trying to sell my 01 Saturn L200, so thisride isdefinitely a step up for me. Anyway, I've got the standard factory CD player in it right now and I'm kinda disapointed because I can't plug in my ipod or play mp3 formatcds...so I've got a few questions:

1) Willthe headunit with the aux jackthat was offeredwith the magnumalso play mp3 format cds?
2) Do I need anything else to swap from the standard player to the one with the aux jack?
3) Where can I find a good deal ona unit with the aux jack? I've lookedon ebay, but there's only one seller at the moment and its a little pricey.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks!

Old 07-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Birdman
Default RE: factory headunit swap

My '07 came with the single CD w/input jack. This unit will not play MP3 CD's. I bought the 6 CD Unit and it does play MP3 CD's, but does not have the input jack. I paid $76+$15 shipping for a new take-out on eBay. The seller's ID was "fishflyshoot" and I remember he also sold a Jeep navigation head unit for something like $128.

Head units are year specific (maybe even trim level specific), so check with your dealer to get the part/model number for your specific Magnum. Then Google the model number, thats how I found mine. There are some sources for factory head units, but I seem to remember that they were all dealerships. My head unit was priced at ~$600 and I saw Chrysler dealerships selling for as low as $400. Be patient and you'll get what you want at the price you want. Good hunting.

Oh, almost forgot. You shouldn't need anything else, mine was just a simple swap and plug it in.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:27 PM
MikeW88

hey Birdman, thanks! Great info. Now I just can't decide whether I prefer mp3 + 6 disc or just the aux jack. I'll take your advice and get part numbers and search that way.

Also, I'm considering the possibility of getting Sirius satellite radio. Do you know if the 6 diskis capable ofsatellite radio integration?

Old 07-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Birdman

Yes, its is satellite ready. The single CD with aux input is too.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:46 AM
fr8hauler
Rookie

Back seat noise...I wrapped a little duct tape around the metal loops the latch locks onto and haven't heard the noise since. Good luck!

Quick Reply: factory headunit swap