Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

New Here - Tow Package install after purchase??

Old 08-02-2008, 05:47 AM
Trep
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Here - Tow Package install after purchase??

Hey Gang - Been lurking a bit and learning. I'm on assignment overseas right now, but am preparing to get a 2005-2006 Magnum R/T in the next few weeks back in the states. I need the tow package (2500lb bass boat to tow) and wonder if the tow package can be installed by the dealer if the used one I fnd doesn't have the package already (from reading here its the heavy duty cooling and load leveling shocks + the Hitch/wiring) ???

From searching this site it seems it can be done, but not a lot of the dealers have done it back in 2005/6. Any clue if its something doable, or do I need to wait till I find one with the tow package already installed?

Thanks!

Trep

Old 08-02-2008, 11:08 AM
06magnum
Default RE: New Here - Tow Package install after purchase??

I added a tow package to haul my ski boat. I went to a hitch store and they ordered the correct one, wired and installed in 30 minutes. The problem is, i have heard that you cant get the catback exhaust installed because the frame of the hitch is in the way... Anyway my 06 AWD 5.7 pulls my 89 galaxy ski boat (2200LB) with no problem.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Trep
Default RE: New Here - Tow Package install after purchase??

06Magnum - Did the hitch store install the heavy duty cooler, the shocks and the hitch/wiring? If they added to whole tow package, how much was it? I want to be able to negotiate with the dealers to let them know i'll have to invest $XXX to tow the boat. I'm trying to find one with the tow package, but they seem hard to find.

Thanks!

Old 08-05-2008, 08:03 PM
65standard
All Star

most people just add the hitch and tow without any issues. however, you can add the Nivomat self leveling rear shock and special rear springs. the severe duty cooling is just different programming of the cooling fans. the dealer has to add the hitch as the tow package doesn't come with one. get the dodge hitch because it is hidden and clears the dual exhaust without any problems.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Trep
Default Thanks!

65Standard - Thanks for the info. Wife surprised me this morning (Well my Morning i'm in China on business and she's back in Atlanta) with a picture on my cell phone of my new 2006 R/T!! I have to wait 3 weeks till I get back to the states to check with the local Dodge Dealer if it has the tow prep package or do I need to order the nivomats/springs and get the hitch.

So I need the class III hitch reciever, weight distribution hitch and L bracket, 4 pin wiring harness install (my boat uses 4 pin), and then the Nivomats/springs IF it doesn't already have the tow package - Anything I'm missing to tell the dealer?

Gonna kill me as I can't see or driver her for 3 weeks!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:12 PM
06magnum

Sorry for the delay in reply... all i added was the hitch and wiring. I hardly know its back there, except for the fact the hemi seems to know and responds... im also hauling gear and 4 kids and the wife most of the time as well.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:54 AM
Trep

Thanks! I had the local dodge dealer confirm that mine has the tow prep already installed (its a RWD) from the factory, so when I get back fulltime in Oct i'll had the dealer add a hitch and wiring.

I'm leaning towards the non-hidden hitch in a class IIII model so I don't have to worry about getting the weight distributing trailer attachments, I know it will show un-line the Hidden Hitch but will be easier to ensure I have full capabilities.

I'll post pics in a few months when I have them.

Thanks again - Trep

Old 08-23-2008, 08:00 AM
Trep

This keeps getting BETTER and BETTER! Landed from the far east yeasterday, Wife picks me up in my R/T! What a SMOOTH ride! Get it to lunch and take a look under the rear bumper and BAM!! She already has the Dodge hidden hitch and wirining installed from the original owner! MAN what a car! All i gotta do is hit the dodge dealer today and pick up the hitch/ball mount and i'm ready!

Pictures soon!

Trep

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Here - Tow Package install after purchase??