Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Slick 50 Engine Treatment

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Black RT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slick 50 Engine Treatment

What do you think about Slick 50 engine treatment after engine break in period ?
What do you think dodgemach?

Old 01-28-2005, 08:35 PM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Slick 50 Engine Treatment

How do you properly spell snakeoil... or is it snake oil, or maybe Snake Oil. Not sure, anyway....big waste of money.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:11 PM
MikeEast
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From http://www.dictionary.com

snake oil
n.

1. A worthless preparation fraudulently peddled as a cure for many ills.
2. Speech or writing intended to deceive; humbug.

Nothing found for 'snakeoil'

I gotta agree with dodgemech, Slick50 looks good on TV, but did they drain all the oil out and drive it around for a good bit afterwards? That's a tv-advirt that's hard to dismiss - forgot who it's for, but in that same context, I am under the impression that I drove two cars with no coolant in the motor for long enough to do fatal damage to both and didn't. The TBird for over 100 miles with a cylinder sucking coolant thru the headgasket, no coolant in the motor, and the Woody (Pontiac Safari 6000 V6 wagon) for ~20 miles, bad radiator, no coolant left at all.

Those two cars had been treated with Prolong, which I 'might' do to the Hemi, but probably won't . Not sure, but I think that it may have helped lose the motor in the JohnDeere tractor that sat for about a year, outdoors. without being run. Dunno, but I'm not risking the Hemi. That's the only motor I've EVER had break anything inside and it bugs me.

BTW, I fixed them both, the Woody is still running, about 60K more miles on it, and so's the TBird, which towed a trailer to Georgia (and shouldn't have, but that's another story) :-)

Bottom line in my opinion would be that unless there's laboratory and real world proof then I wouldn't waste my money.

Mike

Old 01-28-2005, 09:26 PM
EMB
Rookie

Slick 50 uses a epoxy base adhesive to make the teflon stick....the engine heat "cures" the epoxy, and makes the base stick to the engine parts.

Over time, the base gives way, and little peices of teflon and epoxy tear lose.

With the Displacement on Demand using the lock down lifter, activated by oil, do you really want flecks of teflon and epoxy floating around in your oil?

On your run of the mill engine, basic lifters and such, it might make a slight difference.

But your going to change your oil every 3000 miles anyway, and hopefully use a good syn. oil, less ash and soot, so you shouldn't need Slick 50 anyway...

Ed

Old 01-28-2005, 10:21 PM
still443

If you're going to add anything, I'd recommend Petron Plus. It's a petroleum based product that has a great reputation for engine protection. I've used it for years.

Old 01-28-2005, 10:22 PM
Black RT
Professional

That was my thoughts Snake Oil.

Buddy in KY

Old 01-29-2005, 01:55 AM
grinner
All Star

I remember making the first infomercial for slick 50.
They had a dude in a white coat like he was a scientist or somthing and he did a comparison with waights on a rotaing mechonism aganst some metal.
I dunno how many takes we had to do to make it work but I do remember having to fake it.
The stuff is bogus.

Old 01-29-2005, 12:08 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

Snake oil for sure.

Waste of money.

Just use a good oil and filter, change at 3 months or 3,000 miles

Bob

Quick Reply: Slick 50 Engine Treatment