Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

NEED Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 01:38 AM
nyinstaller
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED Opinions

Ok heres the deal i own a magnum sxt, and recently I aquired a srt engine with 18000 miles on it from a repo recovery that had the interior ripped out of it thus totalling off the car. here the deal I know these cars pretty damn good.

I would like to sell the engine for 7000
what would be included is the
engine 18000 miles
5 speed transmission
engine mounts
radiator and fan assemble, engine harness and computer.

now here is the delema do i sell the system or put it in my car. the majar problem is it will cost a bunch of money to do so, which i do not have at all. with such things like
revining the computer 150 to 250
possible upgrading the fuel pump ?. and any other unforseen problems.

does any one want to inform me of some other possible thing i might face in doing this engine swop. or even possible inquiring on if you are interested in the purchase. or additonal information.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:10 AM
65standard
All Star

you would also want the SRT's rear end assembly to keep the computer happy.

if you can't get everything needed from the donar car, you would be better off just selling the engine and trans to someone.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Carolina Magnum
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 65standard
you would also want the SRT's rear end assembly to keep the computer happy.

if you can't get everything needed from the donar car, you would be better off just selling the engine and trans to someone.
^^^^^ Yup, what he said! ^^^^^

Old 02-12-2009, 05:35 AM
nyinstaller

can I ask where you are getting this info. because the entire rear end is mechanical. last i looked on both cars there is no electrical conectors going to the rear axel. there for how would the engine computer know anything about it. Not challenging your statement just asking a question. besides that I can reprogram the computer if my 5 speed trans does have a different gear ratio.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:58 AM
Strykker
Professional

Without going into research, I would imagine the SXT tranny is not geared or as strong as the trans on the SRT. The HP difference and gearing could be a serious issue. In addition to that upgrading suspension and handling should be considered as well.

Sell it and mod the SXT or find a previously own RT/SRT quite a bit less headache for sure.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:22 PM
nyinstaller

Ok the engine is complete with srt trans from the srt I pulled it out of. suspension has been swopped already along with the brakes, and interior parts. the only part that i dont have and i was asking for was what else is needed. peeps above said the rear end to avoid computer problems and i responded with the computer does not actually connect to the rear end y would it cause problems.

I know this the computer from the srt engine has to be revined but other than that all of my parts should work. since most of them or the important ones are being replaced with donor car or have been. so I ask a knowledgable person is there anything else Out there which can cause me issues. any one can chime in. you may have additional knowledge or comments that i have not thot about.

either way can someone respond the the rear end comments above.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:50 PM
65standard
All Star

the SXT and SRT have different gear ratios in the rear end. your SXT could have the 2.87 if it had the 5-speed trans and 3.64 if it was a 4-speed trans.

if you don't use the SRT rear, your computer will go into limp mode. there are speed sensor on the car and the computer reads their input. if A + B doesn't = C the computer will shut the trans down to prevent failure.

you will see what i mean as soon as you try to drive your Hemi equipped SXT. remember this phrase. LIMP MODE

Old 03-01-2009, 08:52 PM
nyinstaller

thanks for the clarification. however that is a minor programming thing,. And i know limp mode very well as when i had issues with my trans I suffered it. but again if the gear ratio is the only thing again it is a programming thing. something all the dealers and my buds can do. what is the ratio on the srt models. with the five speed trans. ?

Plus buying the rear diff whould be farely easy and not that bad of a thing since the outcome would be awesome. do you agree?

Old 03-01-2009, 08:55 PM
nyinstaller

btw i have the five speed.

Quick Reply: NEED Opinions