Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

RT Exhaust Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 11:44 AM
HemiMag
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RT Exhaust Change

Well...you have had a few days to get used to the new system....how do you like it?

Old 03-01-2005, 04:16 PM
tylerhemi

Well she does not think it is loud enough, so we are going back to the muffler shop on Saturday
and either take off the resonators and put on some glass paks or go with out them not sure yet and it will be up to her. I like it the way it is, but it is her car.

tylerhemi

Old 03-01-2005, 09:50 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

OK, I'm jealous...

[IMG]local://upfiles/10346/A868218FCB23489397BB002B53B92414.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-01-2005, 11:05 PM
tylerhemi

Why are you jealous?

tylerhemi

Old 03-01-2005, 11:25 PM
MattRobertson
Professional

TylerHEMI,

I suggest you WAIT before cutting of the resonators. The sound is going to deepen over time. I have almost exactly that same setup and I thought the same thing. About 2000 miles later I don't anymore. Especially at speed on the hwy. 'tis a lot easier to cut things off than it is to glue 'em back on again. Cheaper, too. Give it a month or two. You can always hack 'em off later.

IMCO's are excellent mufflers, by the way. I saw them lined up side by side against a flowmaster 40 and the IMCO's appeared much better made. They also have great sound. Comparable to a Flowmaster 40. My muffler guy said IMCO basically did a better copy of the Flowmaster, and that he's had problems with rusted out or blown up flows coming back and zero with IMCO's.

One more thing: Are the mufflers the ONLY thing you did? If so that would explain why you think its so quiet. Add an intake kit. They're cheap. Thats where your real sound is going to come from. We're talking about a serious can of whoop-***:

http://foohbar.com/ul/Video5.wmv

Best part is you don't hear it unless you stomp on it. Use a K&N Typhoon and you'll find its also a CAI despite its short ram design.

http://foohbar.com/page_49.cfm

Old 03-01-2005, 11:58 PM
tylerhemi

Matt

Thanks for the Comment. I will pass on the information to my wife. The intake kit is that the cold air intake kit I keep hearing about?

tylerhemi

Old 03-02-2005, 12:17 AM
tylerhemi

MATT IS THE SOUND CLIP FROM YOUR RT. IT SOUNDED REALLY LOUD.

I LOOKED UP THE INTAKE KIT ON THE WEB AND IT IS $266.00. DOES THIS STUFF AFFECT THE WARRANTY IN ANY WAY?

TYLERHEMI

Old 03-02-2005, 03:27 AM
VegasHemi
Professional

The intake kit will for sure let you hear more ummmmph inside the car, it will sound good. As far as the warrantee goes, well most dealers overlook the intake as most dealers sell kits themselves. I have heard of dealers not honoring a warrantee for variety of reasons, but if your really worried, ask the Service manager at your dealership his opinions and get it in writing.

Old 03-02-2005, 02:25 PM
MattRobertson
Professional

Tylerhemi,

That video looks to be from a flat-out 1/4 mile run at WOT throttle ;-) . Its a lot louder than even your most severe highway throttle-goose, and also bear in mind its a microphone reproducing the sound. Sounds deafening but its not.

Anyway if you go WOT you should get a roar.

An intake kit on its own will not void the warranty. Basically any modification must be proven to be the specific causal factor in a warranty denial. Been a law for quite some time. My own dealer would have installed that, wheels and a set of Eibach springs, but the price they wanted was too high. The K&N can be faulted in severe conditions (i.e. you drive down dirt roads more than occasionally) for allowing too much thru the filter, which you can solve for less than $30 by putting on a pre-filter 'hair net'. I got mine at AJUSA.com. The issue isn't severe enough to void the warranty unless something extreme happens.

The K&N is one of many intake kits. However its unique design, coupled to the way the Magnum is laid out, resulted in those test results I posted, which reported ambient air into the engine. All intake kits will give you the same beefy, muscle-car sound (with the added benefit of total silence when you aren't stomping on the pedal) provided they draw in air without the use of the stock silencer.

AirRaid is one of those, for sure, and is cheaper. However its use of the stock rubber intake hose may have effects on air temperature. No one has stuck a sensor in the elbow and reported on the road test results so nobody knows for sure.

You can get the price of the Typhoon down to about $220. Search the archives.

Old 03-02-2005, 02:29 PM
MattRobertson
Professional

Just got an idea: It would be cool to do a video with some running commentary on a windy mountain road. I know a road into a place called Dinkey Creek up in the hills above Shaver Lake thats enough to scare the crap out of most drivers (1 1/2 lanes, near-sheer 1000 ft drops, no guardrails, snow and ice etc.). I;'ll see if I can make a run up there Saturday. Will get you a real-world idea of the sound and make for a hoot to watch.

Quick Reply: RT Exhaust Change