Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

2005 Magnum, lots of clunking noises from front end

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 10:37 PM
annwalters72
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the same problem not once but twice in my 06...1st time they replaced tie rods and other thing (I cant remember exactly what all) but thank goodness it was under warranty at the time (40,000 miles and 4 years old) 2nd time (which was less than 6 months ago) took it in for brakes (80,000 miles) told me the noise was sway bar arm and steering linkage...replaced all of that to the tune of $500 fine for a couple months....took it back in today for oil change and once again the same clunking noise..was told today it needed inner and outer tie rods....drove it home and several times since getting it back from oil change and no cluncking noise. They told me that it was going to be $300 to fix. Now how is it that just an oil change and inspection and the noise goes away and nothing was said about sway bar bushings????????

Old 11-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Jsinn Daigle

well back in the east coast again and the mag is clunking again less than 10,000 km of driving since i replaced the whole front end ,also broke down in Wawa ,Ontario lucily right in front of a Dodge dealer ,the AC pump seized up and spun the belt,they had a belt(70bucks) and had to overnight order a pump(750) $1090.00 later i was back on the road now I'm on my way to the parts store to get another set of sway bar bushings(19 bucks) a side and hope that fixes my clunking,will post again with results

Old 12-18-2012, 07:27 AM
lindellrosendal

Hi, I recently bought a 2007 Dodge Magnum RT 5.7 Hemi AWD. I got a one year warranty/30000 km from the seller. There were klunking noices under the car when I tested it, so this was written in in the warranty documents, and I was free to choose a Dodge service shop nearby that would fix the problem and the seller would pay the bills. Can anybody be more specific on what parts that must be replaced before I order an inspection. My Magnum has only been driven 29000 km. I live in Sweden.
Thanks.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:14 PM
tmartinkaraoke
Default Front end suspension noise 2005 Magnum

Began getting rapid clunking noise left front after installing new left front caliper on 2005 Magnum. After jacking car up numerous times attempting to identify something that could make the noise which occurred over gravel or minor bumps with not luck. Took car to Dodge for front end alignment they found all suspension components were fine.

One last ditch effort to locate the aggravation before I go back to Dodge took me under the hood, where I had been previously, and just probing around determined the coolant reservoir is what is causing the banging. The Power steering reservoir is also attached to the coolant res. but not secured to the car's body so can easily bounce up and down causing the banging sound.
I removed the PS res. and was able to lift the Coolant res. just enough to put a foam insert between it and the body of the car. Problem solved. I don't have a clue why this noise coincided with the brake work on the left front but the noise sounded like it was coming from the suspension area so was a real fooler.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:58 PM
rckfd1966
Smile 2005 Dodge Magnum

Thanks for the info. Had originally read that the strut tension bar was the cause of the front end clunking. Had replaced them. 3 days later was clunking again. Just replaced sway bar/ stabilizer bushings and links. For first time in about 3 years the clunking is gone.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:18 PM
DymosDodge

Definitely a trend 2006 Dodge Magnum Hemi and mine is making the same noises. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:32 AM
marct2009

This is a very common issue with the magnum. I replaced the struts, inner/outer tie rods, and the sway bar bushings. After all that, I could still hear the noise. But once this winter came around I took off my 20" aftermarket wheels and placed some factory 17" wheels (not 100% their 17") back onto the car and I haven't heard the noise since. I suggest if your having this issue I'd replace the original tires if you have them or haven't done so. Then I would try the sway bar bushings that did seem to help a bit.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:36 PM
DymosDodge

I have 2006 Dodge Magnum Hemi.....had the same issue...replaced the tires and it stopped....sounds odd, but......tires were worn, changed type and now no longer hear it..

Old 01-07-2015, 08:35 AM
Thang111
Default 2005 Hemi Magnum Emergency Brakes

2005 Hemi Magnum, 62k mi.
on 180 mi. round trip all of a sudden I heard a sound, rap, rap, rap, rap, etc. coming from rt. rear tire/axle area. Before I could pull over, after about 1/2 mile it stopped. Nothing to see on inspection. The sound changed frequency commensurate with speed.
Again with about 50 mi. from destination, accelerating on on ramp it started again, didn't last as long as first time and then didn't happen again on this trip.
Next couple of times however it came back for short times.
I googled but didn't really see anything duplicating the specific sound from back end of Magnum.
Decided to pull rotor etc. from rear rt. wheel. Discovered the emergency brake linings no longer attached to shoes but floating inside rotor which was the source of the rap, rap rap, etc. intermittent noise.
The linings aren't riveted but apparently glued on to the shoes. The left emergency brake linings were even more destroyed from floating around.
For $27 I replaced both emergency brake shoes. Tedious job getting the hub off and on the axles, need metric sockets #10, 15 and 18 and 1 1/4" socket for hub nut with a breaker bar.
Early symptoms was the rear end seeming to lock up when trying to back out of garage several times. Had to pull forward to release. Scared a more serious issue existed but relieved to find the problem was the emergency brakes.
If I had to do it again I'd purchase the replacement springs etc. $45 on ebay
Poor design
Good Luck

Old 02-19-2015, 09:29 PM
Vitas1517
Default Popping sound in 05 magnum front end

My 2005 dodge magnum sxt which has 108,000 miles, has the exact same problem as everyone was explaining, I am going to try the sway bar bushings and see if that helps!

Quick Reply: 2005 Magnum, lots of clunking noises from front end