Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

ESP may be broke?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 03:21 AM
MY HEMI
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP may be broke?

Very weird thing happen to me tonite...i was driving the car as i usually do some hard throttle's to normal driving, i always leave the ESP on dont know why i quess i dont like seeing the light on at dark but anyways,I took it off and i started to fool around with the take off's it will spin pretty nice nothing extreme but nice...Now this is where is gets weird i went to make a turn out of an intersection (no one around) so i guned it well my heart jumped out onto my sleve the car almost did a 180 and fished tailed it almost came around, scared me pretty good i wasnt excepting IT.[sm=jawdrop.gif] I thought the ESP would take over and stop that from happening I had to let off the gas to stop it from completly spining around..So is my ESP working?????

Old 03-26-2005, 11:42 AM
henry
Rookie
Default RE: ESP may be broke?

I would definitely get that checked out.

Old 03-26-2005, 12:50 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

In your post you said you took the esp off, did you expect it to turn itself back on?

Once it is off, it stays off, it does not kick in if you drive foolishly.

It will turn itself back on if you turn the ignition off, then restart the car.

Bob

Old 03-26-2005, 06:04 PM
MY HEMI
Rookie

Yeah i had it off but i thought if you where spining out of control or breaking the tire's loose to the point the car feltit was going out of control the ESP would limit that from happen...I also heard it is truely never really off...I mean if i stayed into the gas it would have spun around facing the other way.....[sm=wtf.gif]

Old 03-26-2005, 07:30 PM
Vanilla Gorilla

There is nothing wrong with it. If you turned it off, the ESP only has a slight effect so wouldn't stop you getting loose - especially punching a 90 degree turn from dead stop.

Old 03-26-2005, 07:48 PM
MY HEMI
Rookie

Oh thats makes me feel better then...I can tell you this it kinda scared me a little i didnt think it would do that...Now i know it does i will be more aware when flooring it from a turn[sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 03-26-2005, 08:16 PM
EMB
Rookie

ESP off means just that...off.
The system relies on the same sensors used for the cruise control to monitor the rear wheel rev, then compares that to the eng rev and front wheel rev, along with the degree of the steering wheel from dead center... and uses the brakes to help control skid.
You can oversteet beyond ESPs ability to control the skid, but you have to really work at it.
When you turn it off, it stays off, until you turn it back on, or shut the ignition off, then restart the car...ESP ON is the default.

Ed

Old 03-26-2005, 08:28 PM
MY HEMI
Rookie

Thanks for the info I always drive with it on...i dont really want to buy new tires yet...

Old 03-26-2005, 09:06 PM
EMB
Rookie

I do too...
And in my opinion, it makes for better take offs!
Smoking tires are lost seconds!

Ed

Old 03-27-2005, 02:16 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

I had the same thing happen on a damp road (about 20 min after a light rain). Hit it and did a 360 to get back into the right direction again. I had spun to about a 270 and to get out of the way of traffic, I spun her all the way around. I didnt realize that I had a happy button pushing kid from my girlfriend, hahaa. Well needless to say, he wont be doing that for sometime soon. He was going "WOW" on the whole ride home. Of course the first thing he tells mom, "Dave did a 360 in the middle of the road". All I heard was the song "You're in the doghouse now" playing as she "expressed" herself. After about 2 chourus I got to tell her my side of the story. You should have seen him run ahhaha.

Quick Reply: ESP may be broke?