Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Hardpoint
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling

I was wondering if anyone else has ran across this. My car is an '06 RT AWD with about 43k on it. While either idling at a light or slowly rolling in traffic, it will simply shut off. The first time was back in January when it was cold outside (I live in Ohio), the second was about a month ago while on vacation in Alabama (it was about 90 degrees outside) and again today. I don't get a check engine light or anything. I just pop it up into neutral and it starts back up, but it is pretty annoying.

Any ideas???

Old 08-16-2009, 10:11 AM
65standard
All Star

when was the last time you changed the sparkplugs?

Old 08-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Hardpoint

No idea. I just bought the car in Dec '08 and they are the ones that were in it when I bought it.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:25 PM
65standard
All Star

i would start with a tuneup. the plugs on a hemi are supposed to be changed every 25K miles. even though the engine light isn't on, there still can be codes stored. check for codes to be sure.

is it dying out because the idle seems low?

Old 08-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Hardpoint

Nope, I'll just be sitting there and look down at the gauges and notice that it's dead. Pop it into neutral, turn the key and it fires up. I'll look into the tune up, probably a good idea anyway on a second owner car.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:21 PM
cmt70

I am in Ohio and I have this same problem! Most of the time it happens when I am turning a tight corner. Halfway through the turn it just shuts off. Also, on occasion it feels like the transmission slips or gets stuck in a low gear. I'll be accelerating (like getting on the freeway) and it feels like it can't get into the next gear - no rpms, no power, sort of like it is stuck. If I put it into neutral, rev it, then go back into drive it will grab. I am the original owner (2006 SXT), just hit 40k miles, and of course out of warranty. The check engine light goes on and off at will but never is on when I have it at my mechanic. Also have trouble with the brakes (spent $600 a year ago on rotors and such and had to have it all replaced this month) and clunking noises under the front - but I do love the car. Just wish I didn't have these transmission issues. Hate to say it but I wouldn't buy a Chrysler ever again (had a 1999 Durango that had its share of issues).

Quick Reply: Stalling