Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

engine won't stay running

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 05:34 PM
pout64
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine won't stay running

my 2005 magmun wagon has an issue after I start it,first off it idles briefly then shuts down ,then after waiting atleast 5-10 mins it will start properly and idle up.This issue is off and on at the moment ,I find it strange since it does in any weather or travel distance eg: 15min drive .so whats with this need some sugguestions on problem ty

Old 11-01-2009, 07:22 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We need a little more info. First, how many miles does the car have, what model do you have, and how long has it been happening? I know you say that it is on/off at the moment, but did it just start to happen, or has been happening for months or something. Also, is your check engine light coming on at any time?

If you have high miles and havn't done a tune up, you could be due for that. Fuel filter could be slightly clogged. You could have ran a tank of bad gas from somewhere and the car needs to run with some better fuel for awhile.

There are alot of things that can cause your problem. But because you are telling me that after 10 minutes or so the car runs fine, I am leaning towards tune up being needed, or bad gas.

The bad gas can start happening immediately once it is in the tank. The tune up you may have seen coming. You start to see your gas mileage slowly getting worse, the car sitting at a red light might have a little shake to it, you may hear a different noise from your engine. Little things that just start to get worse over time, and needs the car to warm up before the problems can actually keep the car running.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:55 PM
MikeEast
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dumping in a bottle of StaBil won't hurt a thing and might help rule out 'bad gas'.

Worth the bucks..

Mike

Old 12-29-2009, 04:43 AM
poonamt93
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like your fuel pump starts running initially and then stops due to a time-out interval. Initially the pump is forced to run for a few seconds, but the computer may keep it from continuing to run if the ignition is not working or the oil pressure doesn't come up etc. Also, the fuel pump relay or pump itself could be at fault. With a good battery, make sure you have good spark and check the fuel pressure with a shop gage as you crank and start the engine.

Quick Reply: engine won't stay running