Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

New guy here... questions on the Magnum...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 04:41 AM
Diesel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New guy here... questions on the Magnum...

thanks for all the repsonses guys...

my S4 is an 04 with the 4.2 V8...

I test drove the RT today, and really like it... i'm in the middle of price negotiations now... so if i can get the numbers where i want them, i'll probably be in the car within a week...

i wish they had a white one though... i think the car looks great in white... i'll probably end up with the blue as it looks now...

i'll keep you posted...

also, of all the exhaust options, which one is just going to give a nice growl under acceleration, but not be obnoxius around town...?

Old 04-19-2005, 02:06 PM
AJ_Gil
Rookie

Via 500.
I guess it's all a matter of what you're looking for in a system.
I've worked the most elaborate EQ & compression systems available and I still like to use them as little as possible.
I kinda figure do you want to hear it as the engineers intended or your own idea of how things should be?
I'm not knocking either approach but in replay systems I just like to make minute adjustments to compensate for the environment.
To that end I think I have the bass +4, mid -1, treb +4.
From there let the '60s stuff sound like it did as with the newer stuff which is 90% samples anyhow.
This system reproduces the input sounds nicely with great clarity IMHO.
How you listen to music is your business but to come into a public forum and say a system of this caliber "stinks" does it an injustice.

To each their own I guess [&:]

Old 04-19-2005, 03:52 PM
illy
Professional

Hi there,

After about a month with the RT here are some of the little things that nag at me with the car. Overall the car is wonderful, you know about the power and the room and you like the looks or you wouldn't be here. So here goes!

-I have the Boston Acoustics system and the CD player skips a LOT. It doesn't do it on mp3 mix cd's but on some of my older, slightly scratched cd's there is a lot of skipping that I don't get in my Subaru or in any of the cars I had prior to that.
-The liftgate area of the car is constantly dirty because of the way the air circulates back there. Not 5 minutes after a detail it is filthy again.
-So far, with 1400 miles on the car I have two decent rock chips on the front fender lips, one on each side of the car. I also have a rock chip in the window. I know these things happen but I think the front "brick shape" of the car is really going to become an issue when the mileage starts piling up and the car is pelted like the surface of the moon.
-Freeway mileage is decent but around town expect to really take a hit if you get on it.
-This will change but right now the aftermarket has not caught on to the Magnum. Yes there are a couple of exhaust systems but it still isn't where it needs to be yet.

Pleasant surprises!

-Wow is this car comfortable. I can't say enough about the drivers seat experience, especially with a full compliment of convenience groups.
-Aside from the skipping I happen to love the sound of the stereo system. It is a bit bassy, but I like that.

Old 04-19-2005, 07:00 PM
via500
Professional

ORIGINAL: AJ_Gil

How you listen to music is your business but to come into a public forum and say a system of this caliber "stinks" does it an injustice.

To each their own I guess [&:]

My opinion is every bit as valid as yours.

Old 04-19-2005, 10:54 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

Diesel,
Like some off the other responses, I have a biased opinion, as this is BY FAR the best car I've ever owned, and is not the most expensive I've had. Bought my wife (2) different Durango's that were both more than the 2005 Magnum RT. But enough about me, here are my answers to your questions:

1) I would like to live the rest of my life as the first day I got my Magnum, just like Groundhog Day. I would buy it over and over and over again...
2) None. But I would advise a thorough Test Drive to check for the Wheel Alignment issue that is prominent on this forum, but not for me. Straight as an arrow. Also, take down the VIN of the vehicle you are going to but and check it for recalls. My RT was made on 11/05/04 and had no Radiator Fluid or Bracket Recalls, but I have seen other threads that people with Magnums after my date had recalls. Doesn't make sense... Enter the VIN at the Dodge.com website to check for recall status of that particular car. Just a thought.
3) Depends on your options. I recommend as much as practical. Here is the MSRP for a fully loaded RT, less Sunroof, Sirius Radio, Navigation and Hands Free Cell Phone Connection. Options and Accessories include: 6 Disk CD / MP3 Player, Electronics Convenience Group, Convenience Group II, Smokers Group (even though I don't smoke, I prefer the Ash Tray to the empty hole), Protection Group. MSRP for this Magnum RT is $33,545.00 plus Tax and License. Don't pay more, even though Dealers are marking them up. Just order on-line and you will only pay MSRP and get the car EXACTLY how you wanted it, not what you settled for on the lot. Plus you should be able to get $1,000 to $2,000 off for Financing Incentives and such. $31,500.00 plus Tax and License would be a fair price for this car.
4) The Hemi is there... 40 MPH in 1st, 70 MPH in 2nd, 110+ in 3rd and it doesn't shut down at 127 MPH like most cars turn off, it gently tops off with no slowing, just stops accelerating, but will stay there all day long. 4th Gear will definately top off at above 140 MPH with the limiter removed and no Mods. Quick, no. Fast, yes. Wait a minute... If an SRT-4 can't jump on me for an inch from a dead stop to 40 MPH before I start leaving him, is that consisdered quick? This car is a luxury car. No wait, it's a sports car. No wait, it's a Station Wagon. Crap, this car is awesome. Some people have stated that the RT doesn't feel as quick / fast as some old school muscle cars. Maybe not, but their old school cars never ever drove this nice. Try to follow an RT on a Mountain Road with a Road Runner, off the edge... Bottom line, this car is quick, it just doesn't feel that quick with all the luxury around you. Never drove an Audi, so I don't know what you're coming from... But I know what you're getting yourself into... [sm=gears.gif]
5) Trunk, back area is large, but kind of low, due to the chop top design. (22) Cases of Girl Scout Cookies is the largest load so far. Could have fit more, but it was pretty new at the time and didn't want to scratch the interior. I am short, so I have no issues with the teenage kids in the back seat and they are now taller that I. About the Kids in the car seat not kicking you, good luck with that. I had Caravans before the Magnum came along. (Thank God for the Drives Side Sliding Door) The Caravan seats are like 2' behind the Drivers seats and they still managed to find a way to kick my seat. Little bastards... (LOL) Seems like the Magnum is a good Child Vehicle, but honestely, Kids and Caravans go together like Magnums and Hemi's. There is not a better Child friendly vehicle than the Caravan. But it don't burn out like the Magnum...
6) Exhausted about reading about exhaust, I will be taking my RT to my next door neighbors cousins shop in Orange. He has an OEM shop. I will see what he has to say about an exhaust upgrade. I want the most HP without that crappy drone sound. I want it to sound like an Old School Muscle Car, not a Lexus with a Flowmaster... I will post my mods, once completed and share my information.

One thing is certain that eases my pen at bill paying time. Dollar per Horsepower, the Magnum is an outstanding deal. I did a non-biased search for wagon comparisons. Magnum, Subaru, Volvo and either Audi or BMW. Across the board the Magnum was tops. Lowest price, most HP and the Gas Milage was comparable, not more that 2-3 mile per gallon difference. What's not to like about this car?

Old 04-20-2005, 12:57 AM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

I have the SXT so for perfomance I cant talk about the RT. I think the published numbers are that the RT is almost a full second faster in the 1/4 mile. My few complaints are: 1) the seats don't fold down truly flat. 2) When they went to the computer buss on the radio systems (all levels) they did not include an ignition controlled power lead in the harness (had to tap off the cig lighter) 3) the ugly *** roof rack (had it removed and holes filled, I was in a crunch for a new vehicle and the magnum was my ONLY choice) 4) Dodge for not promoting the SXT more, not every magnum is a RT (tired of every tom dick and harry wanting to race haha) 5) Tired of the "WOW what the hell is that" I get hit with most places I go, haha (had a lady actually jump in front of the car to stop me and ask what it is).

Would I do it again, HELL YEAH!

recalls for mine were the coolant fluid concentration adjustment and the radiator support brackets. The right drift alignment issue was already fixed on mine (build date Jun 04).

Old 04-20-2005, 03:57 AM
Diesel

thanks for all the feedback again...

a few more questions or just comments i had were, i wish they would have offered an HID upgrade on the RT model... does anyone have pics of the all weather floor mats...? and also of the rear cargo area tray / liner...?

Thanks...

Old 04-20-2005, 07:04 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

Go to one of the sponsors here moparpartscenter click on DODGE, MAGNUM, CARGO ACESSORIES they have pic there for the cargo stuff. and then click on the FLOOR MATS for the slushies. They discount the list prices. Hard to believe that the liner and organizer list for $210 they sell $ 186.44.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:27 PM
chefboyrlee
Professional

diesel or anyone else that may be interested,
if you are interested in the cargo liner with cargo seperator, i have one for sale.
i'll be willing to part with it for very cheap. i just installed a stereo, and removed
all that good stuff!
send me an email to chefboyrlee@gmail.com

Old 05-08-2005, 04:33 PM
stevo

Ihave to agree the stereo doesn't compare to the bose system in my caddy. I think if you add a sub it might be better

Quick Reply: New guy here... questions on the Magnum...