Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Manual hatch release??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 10:15 PM
LtlDad
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual hatch release??

I was thinking about the back and wondering if the latch release ever failed. Is there a way to manually open the hatch, without the latch or from the inside?? I read somewhere where someone was doing work and disconnected the battery and couldn't open the back.

Isn't it LAW to have a manual release and does the Magnum have one?

Old 05-05-2005, 01:08 AM
chrisuscga01
Professional
Default RE: Manual hatch release??

Not sure about that. But i was thinking the same thing for the sun roof but opposite. What happens if you can't close it electrically. How do you manually close it. I know on hondas they have a spot in the back on the roof where you manually crank it. I dont' see one on my car.

Old 05-06-2005, 02:12 AM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

Ltl Dad,
No worries... Open your hood and hook up some jumper cables to the Remote Battery in the Engine Compartment. Open your back Hatch and close the Sunroof. No problem. If a boulder fell on the front of your car and you can't open the hood, don't stress. There is a switch behind the Hatch Panel and the center of the bottom of the Hatch Door where the Hatch hooks to the Body of the Car. There is a Plastic insert that can be removed and a Screwdriver installed to open the latch. Not the easiest solution, but nonetheless, a solution...

About the Law, the Magnum does not have an enclosed trunk area that would warrant such a device. If you are trapped in the back, crawl over the back seat and exit the door, Napoleon...

However, seems like an aftermarket opportunity to make a Plastic Insert Button that would snap into the Opening with a Button with a stick on the opposite end to release the Latch with the push of a button, or something.

[sm=smokin.gif]

Old 05-06-2005, 08:09 AM
cmdycrzr
Rookie

I don't have a Magnum so I cannot look but can't you use your key to open the rear hatch? My PT has this, I would figure the Magnum would as well.

Old 05-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Pentagon Magnum
Rookie

No key entry for the back hatch. Even if there were one, it would probably only operate the solenoid anyway (again using battery power). I just look at it as a numbers game: What are the chances of somehow pulling the lid down while in the back and getting trapped and crippled so I can't crawl over the back seat and out the back doors? Or what are the chances of the battery power dying at the same time that the sunroof is open and a thunderstorm is dumping rain? Probably about the same chances as I have of running my car into a power pole. Redundancy is meant for airplanes and nuclear bombs, for cars it just means more ugly keyholes and crank ***** to ruin the aesthetics of a beautiful piece of machinery! IMHO

Quick Reply: Manual hatch release??