Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

K&N Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 10:44 PM
qzking
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: K&N Cold Air Intake

'I have talked to K&N about their Aircharger. Expect a 6-8 month wait for CARB certification simply because thats how long it takes to wend its way thru the bureaucracy'

ORIGINAL: Cabo Mag

I have the K&N Aircharger (#63-1114) installed on my RT. The Airbox goes all the way down to the inside fender. It is made of metal. You have to put the hosepart on the top of it. It does seal up to the hood. It really makes a difference in performance & sound.
I'm impressed with the mod...
CM,
Is you aircharger CARB certified?
KK

Old 05-16-2005, 11:45 PM
MattRobertson
Professional

ORIGINAL: qzking
Is you aircharger CARB certified?
Nobody's AirCharger is CARB-certified yet. K&N themselves say this on their web site. The only question remaining is whether or not the current AirChargers with the non CARB'd part numbers will be retroactively certified -- thats one question I forgot to ask K&N when I called them (and got followups via email). Call them and ask. They're very helpful and thorough. I was promised a detailed followup via email and thats exactly what I got, including about 10 minutes of a tech's time on the phone.

Jimmy The Fuse:
Huh? Different where? Sorry but I missed what you were getting at. There were five tests, although the real kicker is #5, which had the temp sensor inside the elbow. The others had sensors placed at various points on the outside. So many pics in all of those texts no telling what you were looking at.

I originally did external tests as I wasn't sure I could get a sensor inside and wanted to be able to infer a value on the inside. I eventually figured out how to get it in there ('twas easy) and was real surprised to see the results.

Bottom line: If you are standing still it gets hot. If you are moving it cools off, and fast. So if you're waiting in line at the drag strip to run a 1/4 mile you're screwed, but if you're driving the car down the road its not an issue.

Old 05-17-2005, 12:29 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

I think that I will just keep my 360 AirIntake system (for money reasons) and modify it so that it seals against the bottom of the hood better.

Plus will look into putting on some insulation material on outside of air box to keep the heat out. Also insulate the metal tube going into the intake manifold, cool air is better than hot air.

Thanks guys (and gals),

Bob

Quick Reply: K&N Cold Air Intake