Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

New exhaust system, Engine sputters ESP/BAS light on

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 04:40 AM
Benetto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New exhaust system, Engine sputters ESP/BAS light on

Hello, new to the forums..So sorry if this topic has been discussed.

I just had a Magnaflow exhaust system put in my 2005 Magnum R/T AWD. I had it put in a day ago, I drove to work with no problems..and now as I was driving back from work, I floored it on the freeway. The engine sputtered violently as I reached high RPMs, then the ESP/BAS light and engine indicator turned on...After those lights turned on I floored it again to test it, everything worked fine with the CEL and ESP/BAS lights on.

When I got home, I disconnected the battery to "reset" the indicator light. The indicator light and ESP/BAS turned off, but the engine sputtered again, and the ESP/BAS and engine lights came back on. And again after those lights came back, everything worked fine aside from the fact the CEL and ESP/BAS are on and chiming inside the car.

Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited by Benetto; 03-11-2011 at 05:15 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Bratfink

Did you replace the cats as well or just a cat back system?

Did you get a code out of the PCM yet?

Last edited by Bratfink; 03-11-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Benetto

I replaced everything AFTER the cat..I know about the non-fuelers and all, but the cats weren't replaced. I got a diagnostic with Code P3004 something like that...but the read out said "crankshaft positioner sensor"...

I'm about to replace the sensor...I'll keep posted. Thanks for the response. Be back in a little..*crosses fingers*

Old 03-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Benetto

Just a heads up, Crankshaft sensor and starter are on the DRIVERS side on the AWD. I've been reading that its located on the passenger side...Maybe for the RWD...Someone correct me if I'm wrong and lost my mind, cause I see them right under there.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:55 PM
Benetto
Default Update

So it turns out, the starter is on the DRIVERS side of the engine. The Crankshaft P sensor is on the PASSENGER side of the engine. I wasted about 1 hour locating, and removing the starter for no reason...

After the CS sensor was located and replaced the CEL went off, but the ESP/BAS light remained on. I reset the car as specified by the owners manual, and BAM all the lights were off after startup, and everything back to normal.

I hope my experience, and time wasted with this will help future problems for any 5.7 AWD owners..Remember, the sensor is on the pass side, starter on the Drivers side....Bratfink, thanks for the response and potential help. The rest of you...Thanks for nothing..Later!

Last edited by Benetto; 03-12-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:03 AM
Bratfink

Originally Posted by Benetto
After the CS sensor was located and replaced the CEL went off, but the ESP/BAS light remained on. I reset the car as specified by the owners manual, and BAM all the lights were off after startup, and everything back to normal.
Well done on figuring that out and thanks for posting the experience. I wouldn't have thought of crank pos without seeing a code. Although I was working on a 91 F150 this weekend with an unknown problem that I ended up tracing to the cps... spooky.

Quick Reply: New exhaust system, Engine sputters ESP/BAS light on