Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Valve spring broke on 3.5L

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 05:58 PM
Magman3
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Valve spring broke on 3.5L

Got my phone call today, 5 days after being in shop (long weekend with no one working). The damage is not severe, but I will be without my Mag another day. The verdict is: bad valve spring from factory, when spring broke, damage was done to one of the rockers on the cam, which in turn damaged the cam. I'm getting new valve springs and a new cam, but the cam has to be ordered. Should get my car back tomorrow, Friday at the latest. The dealership but me in new Dakota for the week.

Old 07-06-2005, 07:36 PM
Lyle SXT
Professional

Hey Brandon,

Glad to hear things will work out. Looks like the CAI had nothing to do with the snag. Hopefully all goes well after you get it back.

Lyle

Old 07-06-2005, 11:58 PM
obiwan

When a spring breaks, it some times allows the valve to drop into the cylinder or remain in the open position. You may want to insist that they (dealer) check the top of the piston in that cylinder. MHO & YMMV...

Old 07-08-2005, 02:04 AM
Magman3
Professional

Got my car back today. Runs like a champ, in fact, better than it did before. Here's the description of what they did at the dealership:

Removed left valve cover for inspection. The exhaust rocker rollers on all three left bank rockers had come apart and damaged camshaft. Removed left cylinder head for cam shaft replacement. Cam shaft bearings journals in head damaged. Replace left cylinder head and transfer valves and other needed parts. Replace left camshaft and exhaust rockers on left bank. All OK.

I'm not exactly sure what this all means, but the car is back to normal. My service rep told me that this had nothing to do with the way I drove the vehicle or the modifications done to the car. He told me that this was a factory issue that somehow slid through the cracks at inspection.

Quick Reply: Valve spring broke on 3.5L