Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

should I get a magnum

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 01:12 AM
magnum2283
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should I get a magnum

Well let's start off by saying I'm a new member and am planning ahead for a first car... So as funny as it may seem I want/found out about the magnum because of a hot wheels car. So some questions I have are
Is the car reliable.
How much would a whole new paint job cost(want it black and yellow)
are the parts cheap/easy to find.
The price is good,but the miles are pretty high...so what would be the price of the sxt,rt,srt8 in about a year.
Thanks guys

Old 03-16-2012, 06:58 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the Magnum is a good car. Try to avoid the SE model if possible. The SE is reliable if the car was babied but also the model that has the most issues.

As far as paint, that will all depend on how bad the car is and how much prep needs done. You can get a paint job for around $500 if the car is in great shape or can cost as much as $3000. That, you will have to visit your local shops and get estimates.

Price will come down to year, mileage, and options. Look at spending $10k to $25k with the SXT being on the low side and the SRT being on the high side.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:00 AM
magnum2283

Thanks for the quick reply, I find the rt and sxt have pretty low miles, I am going to stick with rt or sxt, because I want to leave some cash for the different upgrades.
How does the rt differ from the sxt(any different ext. or any major problems fixed), I know rt has a more powerful engine
When you talk about paint in great shape, you are talking about if the car is already yellow right?

Old 03-16-2012, 01:11 PM
james1337

Nice car, fast, smooth, hauls stuff & hauls! I like the power and the handling, has performance, a great sounding engine and you can fit the dog, 2 kids and your wife! With cylinder deactivation Fuel economy is good on the highway at about 22 but subpar around town at 15. It probably doesn help that I use the 0-60 automatic timing feature standard on the RT. The all wheel drive handles well for performance and in poor weather conditions. The fit and finish is typical mediocre Dodge type stuff ( if you are familiar with imports tighter gaps, softer materials and less rattles). However there is no import that looks, sounds or has the utility of an RT AWD Magnum.

Search it on carsabi.com and you will get dealers prices and other good market information to help you choose the best deal.

Regards,
John

Old 03-16-2012, 04:18 PM
magnum2283

Originally Posted by james1337
Nice car, fast, smooth, hauls stuff & hauls! I like the power and the handling, has performance, a great sounding engine and you can fit the dog, 2 kids and your wife! With cylinder deactivation Fuel economy is good on the highway at about 22 but subpar around town at 15. It probably doesn help that I use the 0-60 automatic timing feature standard on the RT. The all wheel drive handles well for performance and in poor weather conditions. The fit and finish is typical mediocre Dodge type stuff ( if you are familiar with imports tighter gaps, softer materials and less rattles). However there is no import that looks, sounds or has the utility of an RT AWD Magnum.

Search it on carsabi.com and you will get dealers prices and other good market information to help you choose the best deal.

Regards,
John
Thanks jon for info, so the rt is more race ready, i am used to acura..., but i think i'll do fine. I am not looking into imports but am looking at the viper and the magnum(was also looking at hummer h1, but magnum replaced it).
How does a magnum rt awd price up in a year or two.
sorry about emoctions got carried away...

Old 03-25-2012, 05:15 AM
honu
Amateur

Originally Posted by magnum2283
Thanks jon for info, so the rt is more race ready, i am used to acura..., but i think i'll do fine. I am not looking into imports but am looking at the viper and the magnum(was also looking at hummer h1, but magnum replaced it).
How does a magnum rt awd price up in a year or two.
sorry about emoctions got carried away...
You're "comparison shopping" a Viper or a Magnum R/T???? In the car world, they're not even on the same planet!!! The Viper is a nearly 200 MPH, V-10 powered, 2 seat, super-car that is about as practical as a daily driver, as an A1M1 Abrams is for use as a weekend, play in the sand, dune buggy. I suppose you could use it that way, but it's like using a Patriot missile to swat a fly... not very practical. But, hey... what the heck.

On the other hand, the Magnum R/T is a great, all around car, with good performance... having the utility to carry things and people.

If you're looking for a "race-ready" car, an R/T isn't it. The R/T is a performance station wagon that rides and handles well, but won't give you whiplash or rattle your fillings loose while passing over bumps. If you're looking for a hot rod wagon, go for the SRT version... that car will rock your world. But, you'll pay... in several ways.

Magnum SRTs are the rarest of the SRT models, and with rarity comes higher prices. Your insurance premiums will be much higher. Tires will cost more and you'll be replacing them more often... and, the engine does not have cylinder deactivation, as the R/T Hemi does, so the engine is thirstier and you have to use premium fuel.

You also might want to set aside a few bucks every week for ticket fines, the SRTs seem to be a speeding ticket magnet... or maybe it's the driver.

The R/T is a similar, but a bit more civilized vehicle...

What you're going to pay for an R/T Magnum varies according to the year, condition, mileage and such...

All things being equal, an '05 will be less expensive than an '07... the '08s are in a different ball park. They were a one year only car and thought the sheet metal, from the cowl back is the same, the front clip is significantly different. There are other noticeable differences in the interior, particularly on the dash.

Be a little wary of the early '05s. The front suspension, at the top of the strut towers was weak. Chrysler made a mid-year upgrade, strengthening the upper strut mount.

Many owners of the early '05s, remedied the strut tower issue by installing a strut brace. This reinforced the problem areas and tied the left and right towers to each other, spreading torsional loads.

If that brace wasn't installed, there's a chance the suspension mounting locations has been compromised by continuous flexing and getting the alignment within specs could be difficult.

All LX vehicles have had front suspension issues. Tie rod ends, ball joints and tension struts are common problem areas. None of it is particularly expensive to repair, they're just a hassle.

Other than those areas, the Magnums are, mechanically, pretty solid cars. The Hemi is almost bullet proof, if properly maintained, and the tranny and rear end are reliable.

All of the LX model's transmissions were prone to developing a small leak from a faulty "O" ring. It was a warranty repair and, by now, most if not all transmissions have had the O ring replaced.

If you're looking for a unique vehicle, one you won't see coming around every corner... one that'll set ya back in the seat, but not break the bank... has a nearly rabid following of enthusiasts and is pretty darn stealthy, a Magnum just about has that market cornered.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:09 PM
rustyb06770
Default 05 SXT 3.5L Reliability

I purchased mine new and have just over 100k trouble free miles. I've put maybe $350 into it , a couple front end parts, egr valve and a pink thingy in the shifter. The car has never let me down and I get about 22 mpg on average. 24-26 on long trips. Being at 100k, I've got to do the tranny fluid, timing belt and water pump soon (its running great, but they are reccommended to do and I plan on putting another 100k on it). Maybe $200-400 for parts since I do all my own work. Happy hunting for your magnum and this site is great for advice/suggestions/help. take care.

Quick Reply: should I get a magnum