Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Seems to me the Hemi NEEDS Forced Air...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 01:48 AM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seems to me the Hemi NEEDS Forced Air...

While I was cleaning my Air Filter, I decided to turn on the car and hear it with the Air Filter out, since I have read some threads saying that it sounds really cool with it off. But when I stepped on the gas, I heard about a second or two of air sucking whistling before she shot up in RPM's. There was simply not enough air available to be sucked into the 3 1/2" Air Intake going into the Manifold. I even faced the tube up and towards the wind. Same results. This car is starving for air. Force some air in there right away and I think this thing will really get it... Blower at Tax Return Time? MMMayyybeeee...

Old 09-12-2005, 03:17 PM
grinner
All Star
Default RE: Seems to me the Hemi NEEDS Forced Air...

They just don't let these hemis breathe well from the factory, in or out. THe stock intake is as restrictive as the bigass suitcase on the xhaust that has to be cut off immediatly.
I've had good results with a 360 air intakz cold air intake, a functional hood scoop that feeds that directly, headers and magnaflow exhaust. Just going from the stock 340 hp they advertise, that puts me just over 400 hp now (this is not at the rear wheels... not sure why they advertise hp from the motor) but the difference is night and day both in sound and performance.
I notice on the highway at 70mph or above, when I nail it, it freakin gets up and goes. This is where it shines. Still havn't been impressed by a launch but a few more mods otta get me close to where I wanna be. I do like it when a six figured beemer rolls up beside me on the highway, wants to run em then sees nuthin but clean-shaven *** from a station wagon. I havn't come close to losing from 70mph+ but havn't come close to winning from the light yet. Of course, I'm always next to an 11 second car it seems but the bottom line is if you open up your intake, feed it a bit and let some air out better you'll qiickly shave a second off your quarter mile times.

Old 09-12-2005, 05:00 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain
Default RE: Seems to me the Hemi NEEDS Forced Air...

Grinner,
The launch is the one thing the stock Magnum has in it's favor, and one of the only reason's I haven't taken the Mod Plung yet. Here in Traffic-Ridden Southern California, it's stop light to stop light. Even on the Freeways it's stop and go. I'm pretty happy with my launch, which is really fun against bikes... Trips them out. Now I have the opposite results as you with your Magnum. I can take just about anything to about 50 MPH or so, before they pull on me, but it's time to slow down by then anyway... I'm sure my small wheels help out in the launch as well. But don't worry, when I am ready, I know where to go for my Proto-Type Modification Manual. Grinners Ride... Especially the Functional Hood Scoop, that is Sweet... Keep on having fun and be sure to let us know if you ever Vacation in Sunny Southern California...

Quick Reply: Seems to me the Hemi NEEDS Forced Air...