Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

A/C Fan speed switch melted

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 10:11 PM
Blue Jeb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation A/C Fan speed switch melted

Hi all!
I have a 2005 Magnum SXT, although this problem seems to be more widespread. The blower fan switch had melted. I changed it, and it melted again. Well, just two of the prongs. I was at pull-a-part looking for the wiring harness that plugs into the switch; and i found that there were quite a few of those that melted. Even the newer style a/c switch connectors had two of the prongs that had signs of overheating and melting.

What could be causing this and how do I fix it? I mean, with it being this widespread, surely someone knows something about this epidemic.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:34 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You're basing your assumption on what you find on cars in a junkyard? That's not very scientific. Your blower motor is pulling too many amps. A junk one is not going to make it better. A junkyard ac control is not going to either.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:32 AM
Blue Jeb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a scientist, but when I see 9 out of 10 vehicles with this plug and newer version of this plug with the same two terminals showing signs of overheating, I figure it's a common problem. And I wouldn't put a junk blower in it. I did finda few places online that focus on this problem. According to them, the motor is pulling too many amps. I should get to it and see if it spins freely or if it is stiff to spin. Of course, they may not be scientist either.

Quick Reply: A/C Fan speed switch melted