Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

front calipers not fully retracting when in operation, easily retracted with c clamp

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 11:31 PM
nichdiep
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front calipers not fully retracting when in operation, easily retracted with c clamp

I am baffled.. I put new brakes on the front of my '05 rt and for whatever reason the last 3/32 to 1/8 of travel in the caliper will not retract on its own. If I put a c clamp on it I can push the pistons all the way in no problem, as soon as I apply the brakes and they kind of get "stuck" on.. Car will still move, but the rotors are heating up pretty bad if i drive around. Any ideas ? If I exert almost all of my effort I can still turn the front wheel when it is off the ground, just to give you an idea of how tight they are.

I checked all the obvious, the slide pins are properly lubed, the stainless clips are in place, and the lines appear to be ok, definitely not twisted or kinked. This is happening on both sides of the vehicle.

Insights appreciated.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:48 PM
jfotsch
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nichdiep
I am baffled.. I put new brakes on the front of my '05 rt and for whatever reason the last 3/32 to 1/8 of travel in the caliper will not retract on its own. If I put a c clamp on it I can push the pistons all the way in no problem, as soon as I apply the brakes and they kind of get "stuck" on.. Car will still move, but the rotors are heating up pretty bad if i drive around. Any ideas ? If I exert almost all of my effort I can still turn the front wheel when it is off the ground, just to give you an idea of how tight they are.

I checked all the obvious, the slide pins are properly lubed, the stainless clips are in place, and the lines appear to be ok, definitely not twisted or kinked. This is happening on both sides of the vehicle.

Insights appreciated.

I am going through the same thing with my 1/2 ton 4wd right now. I put powerstop pads with powerstop cross-drilled/slotted rotors on the front and Hawk with the same rotors on the back. Did the fronts first and bedded in perfectly. The next day I did the rears and got a grinding noise. Am thinking it is the pads because I have heard others complain about hawk noise with drilled/slotted. The truck is an 04 model and am thinking about going ahead and pulling the trigger on a new caliper set all the way around.(Powerstop powdercoated)???
Did you find out why it was sticking?
Thanks,

Old 10-29-2016, 09:07 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

to the op
crack the brake line at the master cylinder that feeds the front brakes. If you can now easily spin the wheels....you may need a master cylinder.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:47 PM
nichdiep
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New calipers fixed it. My only theory is the phenolic pistons swelled and were sticking. I took the old ones completely apart, they were clean, seals completely intact, etc.

Quick Reply: front calipers not fully retracting when in operation, easily retracted with c clamp