Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Problem with headlights/Interior Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 12:09 AM
theoppositeofsuicide
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with headlights/Interior Lights

Just wondering if anybody has had this same problem. My headlights, dashboard display, CD Player and Interior Lights all flicker and fad from bright to really dim while the car is on. It's really annoying while I'm driving to have all this lights fading in and out all at the same time. I have already taken it to the dealership twice for this and they keep giveing me some lame excuse about the computer needing a software update. Just wanted to know what you guys thought about this. I'm thinking maybe the alternator or a shorted wire somewhere. Any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-17-2005, 01:28 AM
grinner
All Star
Default RE: Problem with headlights/Interior Lights

Havn't seen or heard of this randomly but if he sez it needs an update, why doesn;t he just update it?
I fail to see how that will fix an electrical problem.

sounds like you need to go to another dealership.

Old 11-17-2005, 03:53 AM
crazymjb
Professional

It's unlikely an old software program would cause this dimming of the lights, that would be a bug in the software possibly, but not the program itself. When they reflash ECUs I believe it is only for the vital systems, I dont think chrysler devotes there time to making the lighting program a little different.

I would guess its a short or alternator problem as the headlights are not variable, relay only.

In the mean time you may as well try disconnecting the battery for a half hour, just make sure you have the radio/navi codes(if applicable).

Old 11-17-2005, 06:22 AM
theoppositeofsuicide

They have updated the computer both times I have brought it to them and they keep telling me that its the problem. It makes no sense to me what the computer has to do with an electrical problem. I think they are idiots. I am taking it back to them next week and if its not fixed this time i am going to burn the place to the ground. I'm sure its just a simple fix but they don't seem to care. Thats why I was asking if anybody had any ideas as to what the problems are so I can tell them to check specifc things when I take it back

Old 11-17-2005, 06:07 PM
crazymjb
Professional

I believe it is impossible for the computer to have any effect unless it was somehow controlling output power. The headlights simply shouldnt be on a variable circuit, so unless the computer was causing some system to draw too much power(resulting in a blown fuse) or there is some system I don't know about, I simply don't think the computer has anything to do with it. Time to break out to voltage tester.

Old 11-17-2005, 08:08 PM
theoppositeofsuicide

Yeah I don't think that its the computer either. Any other Ideas what could be causing this?

Old 11-18-2005, 01:51 AM
eviltwin67

Check the voltage and grounds. I had a similar problem on a Camry and ended up replacing all the factory engine bay grounds with thicker/high quality wire to the factory grounding points. It solved the problem for me, and it couldn't hurt. Good Luck.

Old 11-18-2005, 06:03 PM
strippedhemi
Veteran

Its either a bad battery connection, bad ground, or bad alternator/regulator. Im not a comptr gurhu, but I dont see how any ECM settings would affect it. My Corvette lights flicker slightly like you describe and its due to my alternator pully being a little bent. Its worked fine for almost 3 years with the flicker and the alternator is too expensive to fix.....running it till its broken.

Old 11-19-2005, 02:58 AM
matmanc4

I saw this problem today, the vehicle did not have any park lamps, come to find out it was a connection in the PDC under the hood.

Old 11-20-2005, 03:15 PM
theoppositeofsuicide

Thanks Again for All Your Ideas and Thoughts. I think I may have solved the problem. The Ground in the trunk from the fuse box was loose. It was wiggling around and when I touched it thats when the lights would flicker. Seems it would wiggle around while I was driving and thats what was causing the problems. So I tightened it and has been working fine since. I knew it wasn't the computer!

Quick Reply: Problem with headlights/Interior Lights