Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Key fob microchip

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 05:22 PM
Jason St. Amand
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key fob microchip

I'm curious as to how exactly this key fob and microchip combo actually works. I just purchased 06 magnum with one key and broken fob. The key with fob attachment is anoyingly large and since it doesn't work I wanted to separate the two but keep on the same key chain. So I removed the key from fob drilled a hole in it and placed it on key ring next to key. Vehicle would not start. This makes no sense to me. There is no battery in fob fob is broken. Why does it matter if key is physically attached to plastic.? The metal key does not touch anything on fob metal so its shouldn't matter.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:15 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Doesn't work that way. The battery in the fob is strictly for the remote lock/unlock. The chip has to be in close enough proximity to the antenna surrounding the switch to interface with the SKIM. Hanging on your keychain isn't. Might do a little research first before hacking things up lol.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:04 AM
Jason St. Amand
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What doesn't work what way? I don't think you read my question correclty.tried to research that. Everything I entered in search came up with everything but what I was looking for. I saw a video on YT dudes key looked like a normal key does and the fob part was hanging next to it. Didn't work so well when I did it. Luckily I dissected the key out of the fob like a Neuro surgeon cuz I put that bitch back to get her again with a dab of super glue. Oh well on to the next mod

Old 12-06-2017, 03:29 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh I read it right. You thought because you saw something on youtube that you had a clue as to what you were doing. The chip (has nothing to do with the battery in the fob) has to be close enough to the key switch (like right at the end of the key so that the antenna gets the signal return), which means in it's normal spot on the end of the key, not dangling on the chain like you tried to do. Whatever you think you saw on youtube it probably doesn't apply to this vehicle.