Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

keyless remote control problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 02:10 AM
metzlyov
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keyless remote control problem

Hey guys, newby here and this is my first post.

I have 2006 Dodge Magnum RT. It has less than 125K miles and served me very well over the years.. some minor work here and there, but nothing major.

I encountered something new today that I have not seen before – both of my keyless remote controls that allow to open and close the doors not working any longer.. As usual, I replaced the batteries, check the circuitry for any visible damage, check the solder spots that I worked on many years ago (found bunch of cold solder joints and fixed them years ago)..

If I open the door using the regular key manually, I can start the car and it is fine. But I can’t open or close the doors with this keyless remote control..

Any thoughts please?

Thank you in advance.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:20 PM
metzlyov
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I figured out what’s causing this issue for my car..

Turns up that my car battery was causing a noticeable voltage drop.. I checked most of everything obvious, including fuses, cables, etc.. There were no errors that were visible on the dash and friend of mine had a device that connects to the car to identify any errors - nothing. He also checked the alternator and it worked perfectly too. We both were puzzled what could cause this issue.. Then we focused on the voltages at the battery and that is when we saw the problem.

What I noticed is that when the car was running, I was able to measure 12+ volts, but when the car was turned off, the voltage dropped below 8V. I figured the battery may not be fully charged, so I left the car charger on overnight.. Run exact same tests afterwards and had exact same results. I figured that such a low voltage drop also effected the car lock system, which was not engaging.

I checked my maintenance logs and looks like I changed the battery on this car over 5 years ago.

I went ahead and bought replacement battery – Bosch Platinum AGM version and replaced it.

I have been driving since Monday and everything is working perfectly…

My 2 cents of the day and hope this helps others with similar issues.

Quick Reply: keyless remote control problem