Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Will a 2009 and new 5.7 Hemi with vvt work in a earlier car or track?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 02:16 AM
PeePeePUTIN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a 2009 and new 5.7 Hemi with vvt work in a earlier car or track?

I guess I'm new on here and have a lot of questions....

Found a good deal on a new 2010 5.7 mds/v v t complete motor. How much of a problem to swap the motor into a '07 Ram 1500 w/ 5.7 Hemi. Read somewhere that VVT blocks won't interchange with 2002-2008 Hemi blocks .... Can i take out the VVT valvetrain and go with non-vvt parts? Aftermarket camshaft...CompCams?

Last edited by PeePeePUTIN; 04-06-2018 at 02:22 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:38 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PeePeePUTIN
I guess I'm new on here and have a lot of questions....

Found a good deal on a new 2010 5.7 mds/v v t complete motor. How much of a problem to swap the motor into a '07 Ram 1500 w/ 5.7 Hemi. Read somewhere that VVT blocks won't interchange with 2002-2008 Hemi blocks .... Can i take out the VVT valvetrain and go with non-vvt parts? Aftermarket camshaft...CompCams?
Not without alot of expensive work. Has nothing to do with the valve train, variable valve timing has to do with the cam. Even if you locked the cam phaser there is a large list of other differences; granted you would have an easier time doing it than say someone trying to drop one into an 05 or earlier but still far from a plg and play operation.

Old 04-07-2018, 02:30 PM
PeePeePUTIN

ok thanks, Sorry about the user name and misspelling. I stay away from social websites with the exception of research and reading what people are posting about their Chrysler cars and trucks. I have medical conditions that get in the way of posting coherently and 95% of the time I have no memory of posting anything on the internet. So now that I've went and done it again I'll try to clarify the problem with my 2007 1500 5.7 truck.

I put a Diablo tune in it to disable mds after getting a P3497 code but it has came back even after shutting off mds. So... I bought new (16)lifters and solenoid plugs, gaskets, Melling oil pump and timing gear set but realized with over 200,000 miles it should get a valve job too. With machine shops closing left and right I don't know anywhere locally that I can trust so I looked on the internet for rebuilt or new heads. That's when I discovered all the different choices ie, early heads, Eagle and 6.1 heads and how easy it is to get 400 hp plus. Then I found a few new motors but with VVT. I also thought about robbing the heads and intake off the VVT motor.
What are your thoughts?

Last edited by PeePeePUTIN; 04-07-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:32 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What weight oil are you running? Anyting but the prescribed 5W-20 tends to give these engines fits when it comes to the MDS. When you replaced the lifters, did you use all non-MDS or the normal set of MDS? Did you replace the solenoids, or put plugs? Your post says "solenoid plugs". If you want the easiest and cheapest route to replacing heads, go with a set like you have (or have yours redone). Switching to 6.1 or eagle heads on your 07 block will open some other problems that you have to adapt like requiring spacers to use your original intake manifold (port mismatch), port mismatch on the exhaust side, plus eagle 5.7's and 6.1's don't use EGR (yours does), so you'd have to block it off on your manifold and write it out in a custom tune (it builds and gets more expensive from there). Not to mention you really wouldn't gain much switching to better flowing heads with the stock cam and tuning.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:16 PM
PeePeePUTIN

I use 5w-20 because of the mds lifters. Thanks but I'm aware of mis-matched ports on using Eagle or 6.1 heads and would swap the intake to. I've considered the .571 6.1 cam but think it's a bit too much for my truck so thinking about something in the .520 range or... I can just get a good valve job on the stock heads with maybe some port matching and leave it at that. The motor hasn't been taken apart yet, just considering options. The lifters are non-mds.

Just thinking out loud.. I wonder if Eagle heads can be drilled for an egr valve... humm? yeah I know that's a wasted effort.

Last edited by PeePeePUTIN; 04-09-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:34 PM
PeePeePUTIN

I really shouldn't get into modifying my truck but it's that need for speed thing Ive had since I could barely walk. I have other means to get around, a 2015 scat pack and 2 other Dodge trucks along with a couple '60s Hemi cars and a Chrysler 115 Conqueror. So should I leave it alone with exception of a tune(already have), port matching , lifter swap and possibly long tube headers.

Quick Reply: Will a 2009 and new 5.7 Hemi with vvt work in a earlier car or track?