Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Magnum RT quitting with a full tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 01:54 AM
rcmob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum RT quitting with a full tank

Hi, I just bought a used magnum RT. It is less than one year old and 12.000 miles. It is perfect in every respect, except for one nagging problem. I have already taken the car to the dealer, and in fact, it is going back there tomorrow. My problem is that every time I fill the gas tank (without topping it off), for the first 10 or 15 minutes I drive the car, the engine will suddenly die. It starts right back up after I get the car in Park. The lights/electric systems stay on all the time, but the engine just simply stops.
I have about eight tanks of gas throught the car so far, and I have verified this problem with each full tank. After those initial 10-15 minutes, I can go through the rest of the tank without a hitch. The dealer says that the gas tank has already been replaced on this car by the previous owner, and they do not know what the problem is. They keep on asking me to bring the car in for tests. I will take it there for the third time tomorrow.
Does anyone have any idea of what the problem could be?
rcmob

Old 01-10-2006, 11:06 AM
AJ_Gil
Rookie
Default RE: Magnum RT quitting with a full tank

Sounds like the seller had knowledge of this problem before you bought it.
Heck, it may be why it was sold in the first place. I'd definately address that!!

Old 01-10-2006, 11:31 AM
via500
Professional
Default RE: Magnum RT quitting with a full tank

I wonder if gas is getting into the tank's venting system? If so that would screw up the FI and could kill the engine.

Quick Reply: Magnum RT quitting with a full tank