Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Vibration when braking.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Free_Style
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vibration when braking.

. This is a result of braking and not letting up on the brake pedal and the end of your stop . If the hot brake pad just sits in one spot for a long time without dissipating the heat you will warp the rotor. It is more likely to warp when rotor is new. You need to let the car roll and the end of hard braking

Old 02-20-2006, 12:34 PM
strippedhemi
Veteran

brand name is all your choice. I dont see any major differences. Just use the premium pads or try a set of new ceramic pads. Lots of the vette guys in my club like them.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:14 PM
Blkmagnum

Thanks for the advice guys. How difficult are pads to put on. I'm not the most mechanically inclined but I can handle some basic stuff. Or could I just have the dealer do it when I have the warped rotors fixed?

Old 02-21-2006, 08:27 AM
strippedhemi
Veteran

They have to take off the calipers to fix the rotors anyway. Just buy your pads and have them put them in when they reassemble them. They just set in the caliper. They shouldnt charge you anything to swap them. There are 2 pad per wheel, one inside and one outside and their usually different, as are the front and rear ones. With calipers off, just about anyone can install pads as long as they pay attention to which goes where in about 10 mins. My X girl friend changed hers by herself when i showed her how .

Old 02-21-2006, 04:34 PM
PA_Hemi

As everyone has already (properly) diagnosed - it's probably your rotors. I had this happen from day 1 on my '05 R/T, and on my 3K check up, they replaced the rotors under warranty, no questions asked. They said they saw some "over run" or something like that on the rotors. Whatever that means... all I know is the shaking stopped immediately.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:10 PM
strippedhemi
Veteran

Thats 'runout', meaning out of round measured with a dial indicator. New brakes also need driven easy for the first 50-100 miles, so avoid hard or panic braking until the pads wear in. Too soon gets them glazed.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:57 PM
breed16

I too have had problems with warping rotors 05 AWD RT, maybe its the way I drive but I figured I'd share my story, The post about releasing the brake after a hard stop makes a lot of sense thanks for the tip about that.
I noticed that myrotors were slighly warped around 10K unfortuanlly by the top I got to the dealership the warrenty had expired only 12K for brakes, anyway I waited utill aftermarket brakes were available.
So I bought the EBC slotted cross drilled rotors for all four wheels, and also bought ceramic pads, so the car stopped great for about another 10K and no even these "performace rotors" are warped. I think there is a cooling problem with the brakes.
Does anybody have any recomondations for getting aditional cool air to the front brakes?
Is there any aftermarked products available?

Old 01-14-2007, 06:12 PM
strippedhemi
Veteran

Ive had no problem at all with OEM brakes in 3 years. Stops just as smooth as day I bought it and I also tow a car hauler which does not even have brakes. I dont think theres any cooling problem with design at all. Your prob just harder on them. Slotted/ drilled rotors are great for the bling, but if its a street car there less efficient than OEM vented ones. Id guess your not using them to slam down going thru chicanes on a road course at 100 mph....

Old 05-20-2009, 02:47 PM
newmexicomoparman
Default brake induced vibration

I have an 06 Stratus sedan I bought used last year. Since I've owned it it has had a vibration under 'any' braking. Replaced the front rotors with Power Slots from Tire Rack and ceramic performance pads. Vibration still there. Replaced the rear drums and shoes, different tires, different wheels to no avail. The vibration isn't always felt in the steering wheel. Seems to move around from front to back side to side, I'm not sure. Could the ABS be causing this??? I've been working on cars almost all of my 47 years and have Never had this happen. Any ideas out there??? Please????

Old 05-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Bean 3.5

Originally Posted by newmexicomoparman
I have an 06 Stratus sedan I bought used last year. Since I've owned it it has had a vibration under 'any' braking. Replaced the front rotors with Power Slots from Tire Rack and ceramic performance pads. Vibration still there. Replaced the rear drums and shoes, different tires, different wheels to no avail. The vibration isn't always felt in the steering wheel. Seems to move around from front to back side to side, I'm not sure. Could the ABS be causing this??? I've been working on cars almost all of my 47 years and have Never had this happen. Any ideas out there??? Please????
I have had the rotor issue from day one on my 06 Magnum. About 1 days after I drove off the lot, I noticed the problem. There literally should not have been time for them to warp. I called the dealer and basically said I may not want the car and that something was wrong. Apparently, they knew it was a common problem in the Magnum because they said, "bring it into the dealership, we have had luck fixing this issue". So, they knew it was an issue back then, but let me drive it off the lot anyway. They "machined" the rotors for me and everything was fine. About a year ago (after about 30,000 K), the issue came back. Due to lack of funds I have been driving around like this for quite a while. This time, I am going to try after market rotors, but I am not optimistic.

My friend drove a 300C (I believe the Magnum, 300C and Charger are all built on the same platform, don't know about the Stratus) and said he had the exact same issue. He said he had them replaced with factory, but there was no difference. Then he tried aftermarket, it worked for a few thousand miles, then the problem returned. He eventually sold the car partly because he could not get the issue fixed.

I know this doesn't help you in any way, I just wanted to let you know that it appears to be a known issue of sorts and may not go away.

Quick Reply: Vibration when braking.