Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Tow rating question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 07:52 PM
coolchevy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow rating question

Hello,

I am from Graz, Austria and you guessed it, new in here. I took delivery of my inferno red Magnum SXT 3 days ago and it is currently undergoing technical registration as Magnum do not exist on that side of the ocean. Why a Magnum is easy to explain as I live roughly 3 miles from the Chrysler plant where they build 300C's.......and there is nothing better then the stares I get from the Chrysler Engineers test driving their boring colored 300C's.....

Oh btw, you can consider me a converted one as this is my first real MOPAR after 18 years of GM, including a 95 Impala SS turbo. I still race my 68 Camaro SS tube frame Competition doorslammer though..............

I want to use the SXT occassionally for towing of my race car with the total trailer weight of about 3200 lbs. My manual gives a max. towing rating of just 2000 lbs hence my question is that just for standard ones without additional trans cooler or is there a reason behind it? What puzzles me is that all European spec'd 300C touring have 3800 lbs from the factory and this is basically the same car.

BTW, how do I see if the car got the towing package installed, is their a RPO code or something I can look up?

thanks for any feedback

Heinz

Old 06-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Silver bullit
Veteran
Default RE: Tow rating question

When you got the car you would have to had ordered the tow package. If you dont have it all you can do is the 2000 thats it. I have the tow package and i can tow 3500LBS. The tow package on the mag is just self leveling shocks andthats it. You dont get a harness or a hitch. you have to buy that after market from Dodge. You say you had an Impala-SS. me to i just sold mine. I had a 94 with a 383 LT4. good luck with your mag.

Old 06-21-2006, 01:01 PM
MyRT
Professional

Welcome Heinz, I hope you will enjoy your Magnum as much as we do. Do you still have your Impala SS? I remember it being one of the best engineered Impala's ever to be modified. I was an Impala SS owner also, CarISSMA#1.
Again welcome,

Old 06-21-2006, 07:06 PM
coolchevy

Hey Don,

long time no see!

well, I do have the Impala but just for one more week as it will go to France where it found a new owner. I took it apart 3 years ago when i wanted to convert it into a Hipo Pro tourer (twin turbo LS6, 6-speed, Carbon flip fron, etc...) but then I started to drag race again and haven't had much time to finish it..............I liked the car and I like the Magnum. Even if the SXT accellerates like a chained cow it is the logical choice for me as this is my "company car" so to speak and at such it is impossible to pay for 425hp and write it off in your books. Road tax here is based on hp.........

The Impala was good in that way, officially 260 hp even if it pushed closer to 650, noone knew!

I think that a lot of Impala SS guys converted over to Mopar due to lack of satisfying cars within GM..............

although the Magnum isn't here even a week and parts like chip, cold air box, exhaust, KW coil overs system, sway bars, 15" Movit 6 piston brakes going underneath my 20" Lexani Firestar wheels etc. pile up in the garage.....I am just waiting for someone to come up with a blower or turbo kit for SXT (which already wears SRT8 badges, haha)

Heinz

Old 06-23-2006, 01:21 PM
Silver bullit
Veteran

On the brakes will they work with the stock rims. I had my stockers chromed. I have a AWD. My Impala was sent out west. welcome to mod world. I hope i helped in getting you some info for your towing. Three Ex Impala owners Dodge has to have some thing going good.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:01 PM
strippedhemi
Veteran

I tow a small car trailer and a car on it with my RT with no problems. Trailer has no brakes, but Magnum handles it fine. I dont have the leveling shocks.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:30 AM
labellep

I also have the SXT model, 2000 lb towing capacity. I am trying to find out what determines that rating. I have asked to have the tow package installed at the dealer, but they say it has to be factory installed. Perhaps a load levelling hitch could increase the the capacity??

Paul Labelle
2005 Magnum SXT

Old 06-29-2006, 04:48 PM
strippedhemi
Veteran

Im not sure, but i think the factory tow package is the hitch, light wiring, rear air shocks and If you have a V6, you get the RTs bigger radiator (which is standard in the RT). About all you can add is the brake switch (if need be) and an additional transmission cooler that you can get aftermarket for $50.

I think the factories way under-rate tow capacity on cars, especially now that most are unibody just to cover their butt. I have no trouble at all with the Hemi pulling a 3000 pnd + vette plus the trailer. My sister has a small v8 Dodge Ram pickup that she pulls a 2 horse trailer (6,000 pnds) and I think they figure that because it has a rail frame under it, because its far less powerfull and only has a reg overdrive auto tranny.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:24 PM
coolchevy

I think this is a Dodge only rating. Here in Europe only Chrysler 300c touring are sold and all of them, incl. the anemic 2.7l have 3400lbs tow rating from the factory. Main reason is probably that all models come with an additional transmission cooler, improved transmission programming, bigger brakes and radiator due to the higher "normal" speeeds on the Autobahn.

I have bought and installed the "stock" MOPAR hitch (which is actually a German made hitch by a company called Brink) which is rated at 2000kg, about 4200lbs actually, which is completely hidden when not used. I have also installed a huge SETRAB tranny cooler so that should all be taken care off now.

Installed everything with Russell swedgelok fittings and ss braided hoses for a racey look.

next week the K6W coil over suspension and Mov'it monster brakes and I think I am ready for towing my dragster.

Now, does anyone know about a blower or turbo kit for the SXT? it is in desperate need of more power !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Tow rating question