Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Road noise issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 01:25 PM
dcguy2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road noise issues?

I just bought an SXT. I love it so far, but I noticed a few road noise issues:

1) Even when testing driving, I noticed that after you hit about 60 mph there is a noticeable flapping sound (almost sounds like a rattle) coming from somewhere in the left front corner. Because it appears to be speed sensitive, I am thinking there is a plastic flap or cover somewhere in the engine compartment that is causing this noise. Anyone else hear it? I would be surprised if it was limited to the SXT.

2) I am getting a slight "patter" noise from the tires. It almost sounds like a helicopter in the distance. It's the type of sound I would expect if the vehicle had old or improperly worn tires. I think they are balanced correctly because I don't get any vibration. Car only has about 300 miles on it. Maybe it is just thin insulation around the wheel wells. Or maybe they are cheap tires on the SXT. Anybody else notice?

Thanks for your feedback.

Old 06-29-2004, 01:46 PM
blackmagnumrt
Professional
Default RE: Road noise issues?

I haven't noticed either of those issues. The only noise related problems I have experienced are:

An annoying overhead rattle from the sunglass holder (I shifted the pair I had in there slightly and the problem went away but it does come back occasionally causing me to mess with them again).

and

The buffeting from the sunroof at certain speeds.

Nick

Old 06-29-2004, 10:55 PM
jibber11

sxt also, had a little squeking in the right rear very faint and it stopped, but thats all.

Old 06-30-2004, 02:54 AM
midnightmagnum

Haven't picked mine up yet. test drove the sxt. and thought it tightas a vault. keep us updated .

Old 07-12-2004, 04:17 PM
dcguy2

The dealer looked at my car a second time and couldn't fix the wind noise issue, which seems to be coming from the left-hand A-pillar. The tech's said they drove another SXT and it did NOT make a sound, so there is something peculiar about mine. I am taking it back again when their "wind and water" guy is around...apparently he's the best at trouble shooting these kinds of things. I really think it's just a random peice of plastic or paper stuck in a panel somewhere and it makes noise when the wind blows over it.

As far as the tire patter, when they finally correct my front end alignment issue (pulled to the right) and re-pressurized my tires the sounds seems to have diminshed. I still think it makes a tad too much road noise. I also think the entire front end suspension is a bit clunky.

Quick Reply: Road noise issues?