Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Color Matching

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 10:53 PM
HemiNuts
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Color Matching

I want to paint my splash guards on my Magnum. It is Stone White in color. I have tried the Duplicolor using the paint code from the drivers side door. After doing some practice shots on a piece of sheet metal, the color does not match the color of the car. The paint requires a clearcoat, which didn't help with the color difference. Is there another manufacture who makes a good quality touch up paint? Magmania if you read this post, I noticed your splash guards are painted. Did you paint them or have them done? I really don't want to have to have them painted by a paint shop and having my car tied up for days again.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:25 AM
Magmania
Veteran
Default RE: Color Matching

Hey Heminuts
I bought my splash guards and then sat on em' for a few months until I got my Viper Hood.
I had them painted at the same time I had my hood done.

The color match is not exact if you look closely. The shop said that it was due to the material that made up the guard.
The difference in color was very minimal to me, especially since the splash guards make up a small percentage of the entire car.
I imagine a color difference shows up more so on white than on vanilla.

Sorry for the lack of help. I know nothing about paint and color matching.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:31 PM
HemiNuts
Professional

Thanks for the reply Magmania. I guess I'll try the dealer and see if they have a different brand of paint. I think they sell Duplicolor too.
I like the look of them on your car. I notice a color change on the side door guards, and slightly on the front and rear bumpers. It really isn't that noticeable to anyone else.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:26 PM
Strykker
Professional

I would try Color Rite before heading off to the dealer. They have every color you can think of. It sounds like you have the Cool Vanilla paint job, make sure you reference that when looking for color matching.

Old 08-27-2006, 02:18 AM
via500
Professional

When painting something the color of the primer affects the color coat. If you paint as black plastic part without a primer it is like using a black primer. I imagine the Magnums have a grey primer on them.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:50 AM
HemiNuts
Professional

Thanks for the info. Where can I find Color Rite paint? My Mag is the Stone White color. I am finding it hard to match. It doesn't need to be perfect, but I'd like to get as close to the original color as possible.

Old 08-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Strykker
Professional

Here you go: Color Rite Painting Supplies

Old 08-27-2006, 06:17 PM
HemiNuts
Professional

Thanks Strykker!