Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

"Actual" Performance Gains - Cat-back Aftermarket Exhasut systems

Old 09-15-2006, 10:59 PM
Moebius
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Actual" Performance Gains - Cat-back Aftermarket Exhasut systems

I'm skeptical about the perceived gains when paying $700+ for an exhaust system...over the OEM system;

First off, does anyone have real dyno number (before/after - under similar operating conditions) that corroborate the aftermarket claims?

I like the idea of sheding mass, this has merit in itself. The change in exhaust note (usually lower frequency and higher dB's) also has merit. However the reduced back pressure and loss of lower rpm torque is significant.

Then there are shorty headers and their "percieved" gains...who can corroborate those gains? I mention this based on actual gas velocity and the associated scavenging effects at, well, what rpm??

Then there is this so-called "high flow" CAT's...

Input, especially from those who have the experienced with both the Magnaflow, and Borla HHP (for starters) would be appreiciated....

Wagontrain

Old 09-15-2006, 11:02 PM
sxt4
Rookie
Default RE: "Actual" Performance Gains - Cat-back Aftermarket Exhasut systems

I have HPI duals on my sxt and they sound beutiful. Loud but perfect tone. Found on ebay for about $300.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:13 PM
Moebius

That is wonderful, however sound is difficult to quantify and definitely subjective;

Again...it's the performance claims I'm try to drill down to...

Wagontrain

Old 09-15-2006, 11:39 PM
god_complx
Professional

Ok Moe, i have only seen factory dyno, which can all be fixed by the company showing their product. If you are to get an exhaust, just make sure you get a proven brand, but also make sure it has the x pipe, if it doesnt, your system will not get enough back pressure, and it will not be beneficial. Then you can get shorty or long tube headers, one is better for high end and the other low end, you must decide which is more important. Second if you are to do this, you also have to make sure you get a CAI. Again a proven brand is best. I have heard that if you get the K&N air charger, and use an Air Raid filter you will get the best benefit, what goes in must come out, it doesnt help to do one without the other!!! Then while you are there, get a throttle body spacer, it will only help, find one that has grooves inside, and it will be like adding one of the vortex or cyclone fuel savers. Lastly, what is the point if you dont get a chip.. Superchip is the most customizable, so that is what I will use and recommend. If you do all of this you will get noticable difference, and probably a real world 25-30 hp.

Old 09-16-2006, 12:15 AM
Moebius

Thanks GC, but again I must point out that what you suggest is based on what we are told (or have heard) and not what "we" have measured;

I have lost count of the number of engines I have built, and I'm sure there are a few of you out there who are grinning and thinking to yourself this guy is a s**t disturber. This is becuase they know that the path I'm going down will reveal little (if any) significant, and most importantly MEASUREABLE gains in performance

Reason being is that to quantify what we are spending literally 100's/1000's of cabbage on has not been measured by somone like us! Really...30Hp for, say, 1200-1500 buck or mores? Is this reasonable? Horsepower is nothing... and torque is everything. Yet the gravitation to HP figures is overwhelming.

And the spacer thing..I challenge anyone to put forth real numbers (independant) to show more than just spent labor and cold hard cash gains...

Indeed the crossover pipe is important in most cases, but do you know why?

Oh yes..the spacer...if the injector is spraying just prior to the intake valve...what advantage is it?

Old 10-26-2006, 01:02 AM
just like flyin

I would love to hear the same information. I just bought an r/t awd and am ready to try to get to the 400hp number...or excuse me, closer to the 430 ft/lb torque. I agree with the torque theory, when was the lkast time you held into it to 6 grand?
I read on another blog that a guy put the CAI on and lost 2 mpg city? I agree with chip theory, but what about vortex generators, and the 800 exhaust. I hate to take off brand new exhaust for no increase AND be out $800. Please forward facts and figures.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Actual" Performance Gains - Cat-back Aftermarket Exhasut systems