Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

BIG tires=Pulling to right

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 01:03 AM
FreeHEMI
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG tires=Pulling to right

Take it from someone who has owned 2 Vipers: the cars pull because of the size of the tires and the crown in the road. When I test drove my first Viper I didn't notice because I was sooo pumped up; but after buying it I thought I bought an alignmnet problem. Dealer said all was well(private purchase). When I picked up the car the Viper tech told me it happened all the time. Second Viper was a little worse; it also had fatter tires on it. I bet most people who have this 'problem' haven't had so much rubber meeting the road before.

Old 07-25-2004, 02:32 AM
fullauto
Default RE: BIG tires=Pulling to right

I've owned a Viper, and it's didn't just pull to the right, it hunted all over the road. Because the rear tires are so big, the thing rides back and forth across the much more narrow passenger car and tractor trailer ruts. The Magnum has conventional tires, they aren't excessively wide. Hell, my Vette has wider tires.

Tim

Old 07-25-2004, 02:41 AM
FreeHEMI

You're right: with Vipers, both hands on wheels when not shifting, but on open road they tended to drift right. Just an opinion. I'll get a better sense of it when my Magnum is here in a couple days. Sorry, I guess I jumped the gun on the issue. I just looked thru and saw the many posts/complaints.

Old 07-25-2004, 05:36 AM
NorCal

I noticed this the first few days too. The dealer rotated and adjusted alignment. Ti was still there. I drove on the other side of a rural road and in a paking lot to see if it was really the crown of the road and just to make sure it wasn't the alignment. Now, a month and a half later, I don't realy notice it anymore

Old 07-25-2004, 08:54 PM
sikpuppy
Professional

This item has been discussed at length in other forums. Just an FYI, the alignment is off from the factory! Get it to the dealer and make them check the camber and subframe alignment. There are new specs from Hunter Alignment. If your dealership gives you any grief, have them call Chrysler for the info or they can call Allen Samuel Dodge in Houston, Texas for the proper alignment specs. That's my dealer, I had the same problem with the stock tires, went to 20" w/ 255 45R TOYO rubber, and it was even worse. The camber is definitely off no the left side which causes the right pull. Many other Magnum owners have gone through this same problem. The fix wasn't known until July 7th so maybe your dealership just hasn't been kept in the loop.

Good Luck!

Old 07-25-2004, 08:57 PM
Angry Pickle
Professional

Yeah, I can confirm mine isn't just road crown. If I drive on the left lane of some of the seperated 4 lane highways around here, the car goes straight (the road on that lane has left crown)... If I drive on a flat surface, it pulls slightly to the right. Add the road crown and it gets worse.

The dealer has looked at mine and the TSB for it. He even spoke with their chrysler dealership and said the 300's are having the same problem. They said something about a camber adjustment bolt needing to be replaced, but the guy I talked to did not know any more info. They ordered the part but it's on backorder... Said it's on backordered backorder almost. They have no ETA on arrival.

I'm mainly just worried about tire wear. Kind of used to the pulling to the right, as my truck really needed an alignment when I traded it in and also pulled to the right

Old 07-26-2004, 02:09 PM
JETNBYA

My dealer contacted Chrysler, and they told him that as long as he did the TSB, if it still pulled to the right, there was nothing more they could do.

Jim

Quick Reply: BIG tires=Pulling to right